Molesky Shines as Patriots Shut out Skeeters
Sugar Land, Texas - The Somerset Patriots (21-15, 56-43) rode an impressive Vince Molesky performance to a 2-0 win over the the Sugar Land Skeeters (24-11, 65-33) Wednesday night at Constellation Field.
Both teams were held off the scoreboard until the Patriots broke through with a two-out rally in the top of the fifth. Back-to-back two-out RBI singles from Mike Fransoso and Alfredo Rodriguez put Somerset in front 2-0.
That was all the offense Somerset needed with Vince Molesky (4-1) on the mound. The first-year Patriot righty worked around danger a couple of times to toss eight scoreless innings. Molesky yielded eight hits and just one walk with five strikeouts on a season-high 102 pitches.
Molesky's eight shutout innings now gives him an Atlantic League-best 2.46 ERA on the year.
"I was just trying to go with what I have been doing lately," said Molesky. "I always try to get ahead of hitters quickly and keep them off balance. Early on in the season I was going more with my changeup and slider, but now that I am starting again, I have tried to go back to the curveball to add another pitch. I just try to build off of each start. There is still always room for improvement and things I could have done better."
Ryan Kelly (17) allowed a pair of bases runners in the bottom of the ninth inning but held the Skeeters off the board to earn the save. Conner Wade (6-4) surrendered two runs on six hits over six innings to take the loss.
The Patriots and Skeeters conclude their seven-game series Wednesday night. First pitch at Constellation Field is set for 7:05 p.m. CST (8:05 p.m. EST).
The 2018 Somerset Patriots Season presented by Ford continues on the road until Friday, August 17th when the Patriots return to TD Bank Ballpark for an 7:05 p.m. game against the York Revolution. The game includes a Drawstring Backpacks for the first 2,000 fans, presented by Applegate. For tickets, visit www.somersetpatriots.com.
Images from this story
Somerset Patriots pitcher Vince Molesky delivers
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from August 16, 2018
- Early Scoring Lifts Revolution To Series Victory Over Bees - New Britain Bees
- Southern Maryland Tosses Shutout in Opener - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- "Rock" the New School Year at the Next BB&T Point Progress Party - High Point Rockers
- Revolution to Celebrate Three Million Fans - York Revolution
- Molesky Shines as Patriots Shut out Skeeters - Somerset Patriots
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Somerset Patriots Stories
- Somerset Patriots Receive Atlantic League Awards for Promotional and Groundskeeping Excellence
- Somerset Patriots 2B Craig Massey Named to Atlantic League's Red, White, and Blue All-Defensive Team
- Somerset Patriots INF Will Kengor Named Post Season All-Star
- Somerset Patriots Announce 2020 Schedule
- Somerset Patriots to Hire New Third Base/Hitting Coach for 2020