MLS W.O.R.K.S and the Earthquakes Team Up to Support the Nothing But Nets, Malaria World Day
NEW YORK - For the inaugural World Malaria Day today, April 25, MLS W.O.R.K.S., Major League Soccer's community outreach initiative, is teaming up with the UN Foundation's Nothing But Nets campaign in an attempt to cover an entire continent with long-lasting insecticide-treated bed nets. Malaria is the leading killer of children in Africa and every 30 seconds a child dies from malaria.
Throughout 2008, Major League Soccer and national partner Makita industrial power tools - - along with other professional sports leagues including the NBA and the WNBA - - will engage teams and fans through a series of in-stadium events, halftime presentations, auctions and fundraisers. Longtime MLS partner Makita industrial power tools has made a commitment to save 10,000 lives by donating $100,000 to Nothing But Nets. In addition, Makita and MLS W.O.R.K.S. have created the "Makita Team Up For Nets" program that will challenge MLS fans to save additional lives.
"MLS W.O.R.K.S. is committed to fighting malaria. We have successfully engaged our fans, players and referees in helping to prevent this deadly disease and we are extremely proud that Makita has become our first corporate partner to join us in the fight against malaria," said JoAnn Neale, executive vice president of Major League Soccer. "We are thankful to Makita for taking a leadership role in battling this deadly disease. We hope that other partners will follow Makita's example and join MLS W.O.R.K.S. to help eradicate malaria."
Makita and MLS W.O.R.K.S., through the Makita Team Up For Nets program, have developed three ways for MLS fans to make donations to Nothing But Nets. Makita will match the donations made between April 25 and June 30, 2008 via the following methods:
1. Buy any Makita tool and register it at www.makitatools.com - Makita will donate a net with your purchase and credit it to your favorite MLS team.
2. Donate at your MLS team's page at www.NothingButNets.net/mlsworks (drop down menu will enable fans to attribute their donation to their favorite MLS team).
3. Come to Buck Shaw Stadium on Thursday, May 22 when the Earthquakes take on the Houston Dynamo and donate directly.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 25, 2008
- San Jose Earthquakes Hit the Road with a Match Against the New York Red Bulls on Sunday April 27 - San Jose Earthquakes
- TFC Waives MF Hemming - Toronto FC
- MLS W.O.R.K.S and the Earthquakes Team Up to Support the Nothing But Nets, Malaria World Day - San Jose Earthquakes
- MLS Futbolito kicks off libe no Republica Deportiva tais Sunday with special guest Diego Gutierrez - Chicago Fire FC
- MLS Futbolito Kicks Off Live on Univision's Republica Deportiva This Sunday - MLS
- A Letter From MLS Commissioner Don Garber - World Malaria Day - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Earthquakes Drop Opener to Houston Dynamo FC, 2-1
- Two Earthquakes Players Obtain Green Cards
- PayPal Park to Host 2021 Premier Lacrosse League All-Star Game on July 18
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: April 12, 2021
- Earthquakes Announce Local Broadcast Information for 2021 MLS Season