MLS Mainstay, Mansally Added to Independence
Charlotte (NC) - The Charlotte Independence professional soccer team announced the club has signed defender Abdoulie Mansally to the 2019 roster, pending league and federation approval. Mansally is a versatile veteran who has over 150 appearances in Major League Soccer (MLS) with top-flight sides New England Revolution, Real Salt Lake and Houston Dynamo.
"I'm happy to join the team and I'm excited to help the team achieve its goals," said Mansally. "I always play to win, I play hard and that's why I'm here. I'm looking forward to the start of the season and I'm happy to be here."
Most recently, Mansally scored eight goals over two seasons with top-flight Finnish sides PS Kemi and FC Inter Turku. During his 11-year MLS career, Mansally scored eight goals, recorded nine assists and logged 8,839 minutes played. Mansally has a winning pedigree claiming the 2007 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup with New England and 2013 MLS Western Conference Championship with Real Salt Lake.
"Those are the moments you pay for and you want to be a part of," said Mansally. "In New England, we went to the Lamar Hunt Cup final and in Salt Lake, we went to MLS Cup Final. It was a big moment and I enjoyed it. I'm excited to play in the USL and for the Independence and score big goals for the team."
The Banjul, Gambia native began his career with Real de Banjul. During the 2007 U-20 FIFA World Cup, Mansally and Gambia topped Portugal and New Zealand to reach the knockout stage. Since he has made 16 senior team appearances for The Scorpions. Mansally holds a US green card, which qualifies his as a domestic player as it relates to the USL Championship international roster spots.
"You want the guys who are coming into the group to add to the mentality and competitive nature of the squad," said new Independence Head Coach Jim McGuinness. "I think Abdoulie absolutely does with his experience and quality. We want to play from the back and Abdoulie will help us do that."
Mansally becomes the ninth player added to the 2019 rosters, joining recently re-signed Independence legend and USL Championship second all-time leading goal scorer Jorge Herrera and two-time USL Championship MVP finalist Enzo Martinez. The Independence will return to USL Championship action on Friday, March 15th for the 2019 Season Opening Game versus Indy Eleven at the Sportsplex at Matthews. For more information on 2019 Season Memberships, please visit charlotteindependence.com or call the Independence front office at 704-206-1515.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from February 12, 2019
- Riverhounds Development Academy Holds 2019 Signing Day Celebration - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Nashville SC Returns Home After Week at IMG Academy - Nashville SC
- Energy FC Sign Another Local OKC Player - OKC Energy FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Signs Attacking Midfielder Luis Palma - Real Monarchs SLC
- Fresno FC Signs Former MLS Winger Jackson - Fresno FC
- Fury FC Rounds up Staff Team with Less Than 30 Days to Go Until Season Opener - Ottawa Fury FC
- Loudoun United FC Acquire Calle Brown and Omar Milton Campos - Loudoun United
- Republic FC Expand Local TV Broadcasts to Record Number of Matches for 2019 Season - Sacramento Republic FC
- Louisville City Hires Howie Lindsey - Louisville City FC
- MLS Mainstay, Mansally Added to Independence - Charlotte Independence
- Former U.S. Soccer Coach Clint Peay Joins North Carolina FC Coaching Staff - North Carolina FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.