Mitchell Stephens Named CCM/AHL Rookie of the Month
SYRACUSE, N.Y. - The American Hockey League announced today that Syracuse Crunch forward Mitchell Stephens been selected as the league's CCM/AHL Rookie of the Month for January.
Stephens, 20, registered eight goals - including three game-winners - and six assists for 14 points in 12 games for Syracuse in January.
After scoring the decisive goal in Syracuse's 3-2 win over Hartford on Jan. 6, Stephens sparked a third-period comeback with the tying goal in an eventual 4-3 victory at Providence on Jan. 7. He recorded his first three-point game as a professional on Jan. 13, picking up a goal and two assists in a 4-0 win over Rochester. Stephens made it four consecutive games with goals by scoring on Jan. 15 vs. Binghamton, Jan. 17 at Belleville and Jan. 19 vs. Toronto, then picked up three more points including the game-winning tally in a 3-2 win at Laval on Jan. 24. Stephens closed out January as the Crunch's lone representative at the 2018 AHL All-Star Classic, picking up two goals and three assists for the victorious North Division squad.
A second-round pick, 33rd overall, by Tampa Bay Lightning in the 2015 NHL Draft, Stephens has notched a team-high 16 goals to go with 11 assists and a plus-13 rating in 44 games for Syracuse in 2017-18. The 20-year-old native of Peterborough, Ontario, made his pro debut with Syracuse late in the 2015-16 season, tallying one goal in five games, and also appeared in three contests for the Crunch during the 2017 Eastern Conference Finals against Providence.
Along with Stephens, the league has also announced that Utica Comets forward Reid Boucher has been named the CCM/AHL Player of the Month and Toronto Marlies goaltender Garret Sparks was selected as CCM/AHL Goaltender of the Month.
Each monthly award winner will be presented with an etched crystal award prior to an upcoming home game in recognition of his achievement.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 3, 2018
- G John Muse Recalled by Lehigh Valley, F Chris McCarthy Returned to Reading - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Sound Tigers Host T-Birds, Senators this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Blue Jackets Recall Left Wing Markus Hannikainen - Cleveland Monsters
- GRIFFINS FALL SHORT IN SHOOTOUT - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Pelletier, IceHogs Agree to Terms - Rockford IceHogs
- MONSTERS CLIP GRIFFINS 3-2 BEHIND GERBE'S SHOOTOUT WINNER - Cleveland Monsters
- Anaheim Ducks Announce Roster Moves - San Diego Gulls
- LA Kings Kings Activate Goaltender Jonathan Quick From - Ontario Reign
- Wolf Pack to Hold Whalers/Wolf Pack Alumni Game - Hartford Wolf Pack
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Syracuse Crunch Recall Forward Shane Conacher from Adirondack - Syracuse Crunch
- Jets Canadian Shows Armed Forces Appreciation on February 6th - Manitoba Moose
- Mitchell Stephens Named CCM/AHL Rookie of the Month - Syracuse Crunch
- Reid Boucher Named CCM/AHL January Player of the Month - Utica Comets
- Boucher, Stephens, Sparks Named CCM/AHL Award Winners for January - AHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.