Blue Jackets Recall Left Wing Markus Hannikainen
CLEVELAND - The Cleveland Monsters, proud American Hockey League affiliate of the NHL's Columbus Blue Jackets, announced Friday that the Blue Jackets recalled left wing Markus Hannikainen to the Monsters. In 27 appearances for Columbus this season, Hannikainen posted 2-2-4 with six penalty minutes and a -1 rating and added 0-3-3 with an even rating in seven appearances for Cleveland.
In 41 career NHL appearances for the Blue Jackets spanning three seasons from 2015-18, Hannikainen, 24, supplied 3-3-6 with 12 penalty minutes and a -3 rating. In 114 career AHL appearances, all for the Monsters, spanning three seasons from 2015-18, Hannikainen, a 6'1", 200 lb., left-handed native of Helsinki, Finland, logged 26-34-60 with 42 penalty minutes and a +12 rating and notched 3-7-10 with two penalty minutes and a +12 rating in 16 appearances in the 2016 AHL Playoffs, helping the Monsters claim the 2016 Calder Cup Championship. In 117 career Liiga appearances for Jokerit, HPK, and JYP spanning parts of four seasons from 2011-15, Hannikainen tallied 22-31-53 with 67 penalty minutes and a +26 rating and represented Finland in the 2012 and 2013 IIHF U20 World Junior Championships, and the 2017 IIHF World Championships.
The Cleveland Monsters are part of the Cleveland Cavaliers and Quicken Loans Arena organization and also owned by a group led by Cavaliers Chairman and Quicken Loans Founder and Chairman Dan Gilbert. The group also owns and operates the Cleveland Gladiators of the Arena Football League playing at Quicken Loans Arena and the Canton Charge of the NBA G League playing in nearby Canton, Ohio at the Canton Civic Center.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 3, 2018
- G John Muse Recalled by Lehigh Valley, F Chris McCarthy Returned to Reading - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Sound Tigers Host T-Birds, Senators this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Blue Jackets Recall Left Wing Markus Hannikainen - Cleveland Monsters
- GRIFFINS FALL SHORT IN SHOOTOUT - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Pelletier, IceHogs Agree to Terms - Rockford IceHogs
- MONSTERS CLIP GRIFFINS 3-2 BEHIND GERBE'S SHOOTOUT WINNER - Cleveland Monsters
- Anaheim Ducks Announce Roster Moves - San Diego Gulls
- LA Kings Kings Activate Goaltender Jonathan Quick From - Ontario Reign
- Wolf Pack to Hold Whalers/Wolf Pack Alumni Game - Hartford Wolf Pack
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Syracuse Crunch Recall Forward Shane Conacher from Adirondack - Syracuse Crunch
- Jets Canadian Shows Armed Forces Appreciation on February 6th - Manitoba Moose
- Mitchell Stephens Named CCM/AHL Rookie of the Month - Syracuse Crunch
- Reid Boucher Named CCM/AHL January Player of the Month - Utica Comets
- Boucher, Stephens, Sparks Named CCM/AHL Award Winners for January - AHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Blue Jackets Acquire Center Ryan MacInnis from Arizona for Defenseman Jacob Graves, Conditional Sixth Round 2019 Pick
- Cleveland Monsters Release 2018-19 Regular Season Schedule
- Cleveland Monsters Return to Nautica Entertainment Complex August 4th
- Monsters Sign Brad Thiessen, Garret Cockerill to One-Year AHL Contracts
- Columbus Blue Jackets Sign Defenseman Tommy Cross to One-Year, Two-Way NHL/AHL Contract