Mini-Pitch Unveiled at Peshine Avenue School in Newark, NJ with New York Red Bulls, Kean University, and U.S. Soccer Foundation
NEWARK, N.J. - The New York Red Bulls, Kean University and the U.S. Soccer Foundation unveiled a soccer mini-pitch yesterday at Peshine Avenue School in Newark, NJ. Since 2018, the New York Red Bulls have worked to increase safe-space access to play along with soccer-based programming.
Red Bulls players Ryan Meara, John Tolkin and Daniel Edelman joined students from Peshine Avenue School and soccer players from Kean University for yesterday's unveiling celebrating the 17th mini-pitch opened in Newark Public Schools and the 21stoverall in the Tri-State Area.
"One of our club's most important contributions to the community over the last four years has been the installation of mini-pitches and the platform of soccer-based programming for children in Newark Public Schools," said Joe Stetson, Chief Marketing and Revenue Officer, New York Red Bulls. "Providing safe environments for children to play the beautiful game remains a priority of our organization along with our dedicated partners including Kean University and U.S. Soccer Foundation."
In March of 2022, Kean University and the Red Bulls announced a partnership that provides the university's students with experiential learning and career opportunities.
"I am thrilled that Kean University is partnering with the New York Red Bulls on the mini pitch at Peshine Avenue School in Newark," said Kean President Lamont O. Repollet, Ed.D. "As New Jersey's urban research university, and a state leader in education, it's important that through our partnerships, Kean can help support students of all ages in the communities we serve."
This mini-pitch also marks the latest development in the U.S. Soccer Foundation's It's Everyone's Game national movement to ensure children in underserved communities can enjoy the health and youth development benefits of the game. To date, the U.S. Soccer Foundation has installed more than 500 mini-pitches nationwide. The goal is to install 1,000 by 2026.
"This is our eighth year installing mini-pitches in partnership with New York Red Bulls and our 17th mini-pitch with Newark Public Schools," said Alex Bard, Senior Director of Safe Places to Play at the U.S. Soccer Foundation. "In those eight years, we've come to know what mini-pitches mean to the community of Newark and we're so excited to see how the new pitch at Peshine Avenue School provides more opportunities for play."
Each Mini-Pitch System™ modular sports solution includes state-of-the-art LED lighting technology, fencing, goals, lockable storage, and ADA-compliant access. On average, the lighted mini-pitches allow for nearly three additional hours of play in a day.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 30, 2022
- Jill Ellis Elected to National Soccer Hall of Fame's Class of 2023 - FC Dallas
- Orlando City Signs Goalkeeper Adam Grinwis to New Contract - Orlando City SC
- FC Cincinnati Academy Holds Signing Event at Mercy Health Training Center - FC Cincinnati
- Karol Świderski Starts for Poland in FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 against Lionel Messi's Argentina - Charlotte FC
- Atlanta United signs Free Agent Midfielder Derrick Etienne Jr. - Atlanta United FC
- Sounders FC Appoints Craig Waibel as General Manager & Chief Soccer Officer - Seattle Sounders FC
- Where to Watch: Yedlin and the USMNT Advance to FIFA World Cup Round of 16 - Inter Miami CF
- Minnesota United Signs Joseph Rosales - Minnesota United FC
- Join FC Cincinnati on the Banks for Saturday's Official Watch Party - FC Cincinnati
- Mini-Pitch Unveiled at Peshine Avenue School in Newark, NJ with New York Red Bulls, Kean University, and U.S. Soccer Foundation - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- New York Red Bulls Introduce Gensler as Lead Architectural Designer for Training Complex
- New York Red Bulls Acquire Belgian International Dante Vanzeir from Royale Union Saint-Gilloise
- New York Red Bulls Announce 2023 Theme Night and Giveaway Schedule
- New York Red Bulls Transfer Forward Patryk Klimala to Israel Premier League Side Hapoel Be'Er Sheva F.C.
- New York Red Bulls Announce New Tuition-Free Pre-Academy Program Beginning in Fall of 2023