Michael Ritch, Jamal Sutton and Jake Traeger Sign Developmental Contracts With Crew
COLUMBUS, Ohio (Thursday, March 25) - Columbus Crew President and General Manager Jim Smith announced today that The Crew has signed forward Michael Ritch, defender Jake Traeger and forward/midfielder Jamal Sutton have signed developmental contracts with club.
Ritch and Traeger return for their second seasons in Columbus, while Sutton was The Crew's fourth-round draft pick (No. 32 overall) in the 2004 MLS SuperDraft.
"All three of these young men have had excellent camps and we are happy that they will be with us for the 2004 season," said Crew Head Coach Greg Andrulis. "They have shown good potential and we expect them to continue to improve."
Ritch appeared in three games last season for a total of 21 minutes. The 6-3 forward was The Crew's fourth round pick in the 2003 SuperDraft out of Auburn University-Montgomery.
Traeger played in just one game in 2003 but made it a memorable one by notching two assists in just 12 minutes of play in the season finale, a 6-2 win over Chicago. By appearing in that game he became the first Ohio State Buckeye to appear in a MLS regular season game. Traeger graduated last Sunday, March 20, with a BA in Human Ecology. He was Columbus' sixth-round pick in 2003.
Sutton was selected by The Crew in the fourth-round (No. 32 overall) of the 2004 SuperDraft after finishing up a stellar career at Southwest Missouri State University. The speedster ended his college career with 70 points on 26 goals and 18 assists.
The Crew opens the 2004 MLS season next Saturday, April 3, vs. the MetroStars at 7:30 p.m. at Crew Stadium.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 25, 2004
- Galaxy drop 2-1 decision to Syracuse Salty Dogs - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Wizards Partner with KCZZ 1480 AM for Spanish Language Radio Broadcasts - Sporting Kansas City
- Galaxy sign Thompson and Aloisi to developmental contracts - Los Angeles Galaxy
- D.C. United's Freddy Adu to Appear on CBS' "60 Minutes" on Sunday, March 28 at 7:00 p.m. ET/PT - MLS
- Michael Ritch, Jamal Sutton and Jake Traeger Sign Developmental Contracts With Crew - Columbus Crew SC
- Revolution Announces 2004 Television Schedule - New England Revolution
- Galaxy announce second annual "Galaxy Week" begins Monday, March 29 - Los Angeles Galaxy
- D.C. United to Face Rochester Raging Rhinos June 23 - D.C. United
- Rapids Waive Striker Chris Carrieri - Colorado Rapids
- United For D.C. Charity Luncheon Sold Out - D.C. United
- Quakes Defeat LD Alajuelense 1-0 In Champions Cup; Eliminated From Champions Cup 3-1 on Total Goals - San Jose Earthquakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Crew SC Stories
- Columbus Crew SC Announces 2018 Team Award Winners
- Columbus Crew SC's Zack Steffen Named to 2018 Major League Soccer Best XI
- Columbus Crew SC Travels to Red Bull Arena Tomorrow to Face the New York Red Bulls in Leg 2
- Four Columbus Crew SC Players Receive International Call-Ups
- Columbus Crew SC's Gyasi Zardes Named Major League Soccer's 2018 Comeback Player of the Year