Mets Homer Their Way to 6-2 Win vs. Daytona
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. - The St. Lucie Mets used the long ball to defeat the Daytona Tortugas 6-2 at First Data Field on Friday night.
Cody Bohanek tied the game 1-1 with a leadoff homer in the third inning. It was Bohanek's third home run of the season.
Blake Tiberi broke the 1-1 tie with a long two-run homer into the right field berm in the fifth inning.
Jacob Zanon capped the fifth inning with a two-out, two-run double to put the Mets comfortably up 5-1.
Mets starter Joe Cavallaro was strong on the mound. He held the Tortugas to one earned run (two total runs) over 5.2 innings. He scattered four hits, walked one and struck out three. Cavallaro improved his record to 6-3.
Three Mets relievers closed out the final 3.1 innings without giving up a run. Darwin Ramos was perfect over 1.1 innings, Carlos Hernandez struck out two in the eighth and Ezequiel Zabaleta got a double play and fly out in the ninth to finish the contest.
The Mets bashed out 11 hits. Zanon went 3 for 4. Tiberi, Bohanek and Jeremy Vasquez had two hits apiece.
Daytona starter Jared Solomon took the brunt of the Mets offensive attack. He gave up five runs (four earned) in five innings.
The Mets improved to 8-1 against Daytona this season. The teams still have six games left this month.
The Mets (33-17, 65-51) and Tortugas (21-29, 56-59) play the third game of their series on Saturday at 6:30 p.m. It's Paint the Park Pink Night at First Data Field. Fans are encouraged to wear pink in support of the eradication of breast cancer.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from August 9, 2019
- Coquis Bats Catch Fire in 8-4 Triumph over Flying Tigers - Florida Fire Frogs
- Vallimont Flirts With Perfection Against Former Club - Fort Myers Mighty Mussels
- Stone Crabs Strike Late as Tarpons Drop Third-Straight - Tampa Tarpons
- Eighth Inning Sends Stone Crabs Past Tampa 6-4 - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Homers Hamper Tortugas in 6-2 Loss to Mets - Daytona Tortugas
- Kroon's Big Day Helps Doublehearder Split - Clearwater Threshers
- Mets Homer Their Way to 6-2 Win vs. Daytona - St. Lucie Mets
- Fire Frogs Weekend Highlights: -8/11 - Florida Fire Frogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.