MetroStars Make Coaching Change
?The Mississauga MetroStars have announced they have relieved both General Manager/Head Coach Phil Ionadi and Assistant Coach Milodrag Akmadzic-Backo of their duties.
? ?"I would like to compliment Phil and Backo for all their efforts to date but management has decided to go in a different direction for the remainder of the season," said MetroStars President Serge Giancola, who added that Ionadi has moved on to pursue other career opportunities. With eight games remaining in the 2018/19 season, the MetroStars sit fourth in the MASL's Eastern Division with a 3-13 record.
? ?The new MetroStars technical staff will be comprised of Head Coach Rick Titus and Assistant Coach John Williams. Titus, 49, a native of Mississauga, currently coaches Masters FA of League 1 Ontario as well as the Sheridan College Bruins, 2018 OCAA National finalists. Titus also has head coaching experience at various levels of the Toronto FC Academy and was also a regional scout for TFC.
? ?Titus' playing career includes several seasons with the USL's Toronto Lynx, Vancouver Whitecaps and Charleston Battery as well as arena soccer experience with the Edmonton Drillers, Buffalo Blizzard and Philadelphia Kixx of the NPSL. Titus also played one season with the Colorado Rapids of Major League Soccer in 2002 and represented the Trinidad & Tobago National Team four times that same year.
? ?Williams is currently the head coach of the OCAA's George Brown Huskies as well as the Club Head Coach of GS United, whose women's team are the reigning Canadian National Champions. As a player, Williams had stints with the Winnipeg Fury and St. Catharines Roma of the Canadian National Soccer League.
? ?Titus and Williams will be behind the bench when the MetroStars return to action this Sunday, March 3 at the Paramount Fine Foods Centre to face their Eastern Division rivals the Baltimore Blast. Kickoff is 3:05 pm (ET).
? ?For season and single game tickets and information, contact the MetroStars at email@example.com or by phone at 1-866-56-STARS (1-866-567-8277).
• Discuss this story on the Major Arena Soccer League message board...
Major Arena Soccer League Stories from February 28, 2019
- St. Louis Ambush Battle Heatwave this Weekend - St. Louis Ambush
- Sockers Extend Goalkeeper Boris Pardo for Five Years - San Diego Sockers
- Sockers Host Turlock in Donovan's Second MASL Game - San Diego Sockers
- MetroStars Make Coaching Change - Mississauga MetroStars
- Fury's Quiroz Makes Second Straight MASL Team of the Week - Ontario Fury
- Stars Host El Paso Friday on Preki Night - Tacoma Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Mississauga MetroStars Stories
- MetroStars Canada Brings Major Arena Soccer to Fans with Six-City Tour
- Metrostars Canada Launches 6-City Tour in Niagara & Hosts Marvel Super Hero Weekends
- Metrostars Canada Will Make Its Debut in Kingston Next Month, with a Pair of Games at Leon's Centre
- Metrostars Canada Series against Rochester Lancers Postponed
- MetroStars Drop Last Game to Heat