Sockers Extend Goalkeeper Boris Pardo for Five Years
SAN DIEGO - The San Diego Sockers announced today that they have extended goalkeeper Boris Pardo's contract for five years. As per team policy, terms of the contract were not disclosed. Pardo, who is a leading candidate for the Major League Arena Soccer League's MVP and Goalkeeper Of The Year honors, is currently ranked #1 in the league with 14 wins and a goals-against average of 3.44. He is third with a .761 save percentage and also has two assists.
"It's an absolute honor and privilege to continue to represent the San Diego Sockers for the upcoming future," stated Pardo. "Being able to play for such a prestigious club and be alongside so many great soccer players is an environment that many around the league want to be a part of. I want to extend my deepest gratitude to the entire Sockers front office, coaches, teammates, and fans for believing in and giving me the opportunity to help contribute to achieving our ultimate goal...the club's 15th Championship."
He joined the Sockers before the 2016-17 season and is in his first season as the team's number one goalkeeper after Chris Toth departed for rival Ontario in the off-season. The tandem was the best in the MASL last year.
"Boris has been the consummate professional on and off the field since arriving in San Diego," said Sockers General Manager Sean Bowers. "He is playing at an MVP-caliber level which has helped us to achieve a 14-1 record. Boris has earned this extension as there is no doubt that this is his team now and his teammates have the utmost confidence in him."
His 79-game (55 Wins - 23 Losses - 5.32 GAA) arena soccer career began in 2010 with the Missouri Comets of the Major Indoor Soccer League. Pardo played three years with the Comets before joining the Wichita B -52s in the 2014-15 season. He returned to the Comets the following year for a season prior to coming to San Diego.
The Sockers begin a three-game homestand on Friday, March 1, 7:35 p.m. against the Turlock Express with Landon Donovan playing in his second career MASL match. It will also be Honoring Heroes Night, as the team will honor and celebrate local military, police, fire, EMS personnel, and teachers for their work. Supporters will receive a free Sockers License Plate Frame, while supplies last. Tickets are available by calling the 866-799-4625 or by visiting AXS.com.
• Discuss this story on the Major Arena Soccer League message board...
Major Arena Soccer League Stories from February 28, 2019
- St. Louis Ambush Battle Heatwave this Weekend - St. Louis Ambush
- Sockers Extend Goalkeeper Boris Pardo for Five Years - San Diego Sockers
- Sockers Host Turlock in Donovan's Second MASL Game - San Diego Sockers
- MetroStars Make Coaching Change - Mississauga MetroStars
- Fury's Quiroz Makes Second Straight MASL Team of the Week - Ontario Fury
- Stars Host El Paso Friday on Preki Night - Tacoma Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Diego Sockers Stories
- Rene Ortiz Named As Sockers2 Head Coach & First Team Assistant Coach
- Sockers Sign Top Midfielder Juan Carlos "Charlie" Gonzalez
- Sockers Charity Golf Classic Set for December 3
- Sockers to Host Two 2021/22 Season Tryout Camps
- Sockers Home Opener Set for Sunday, December 19 at Pechanga Arena