Mercury Headed to Chicago for Round 1 of WNBA Playoffs
PHOENIX - The three-time WNBA Champion Phoenix Mercury will aim for a league-record tying fourth WNBA Championship when the team opens its 2019 postseason on Wednesday, Sept. 11 in Chicago against the Sky. The game will tip-off at 8 p.m. Eastern Time and will be broadcast on ESPN2.
The eighth-seeded Mercury will have to play Round 1 (Sept. 11) and, if they win, Round 2 (Sept. 15 at Los Angeles) on the road; a Round 2 win would clinch a berth in the WNBA Semifinals against either Washington or Connecticut and earn the Mercury its first playoff home game (Game 3). Since the WNBA's new playoff format came into effect in 2016, the Mercury has played in both Rounds 1 and 2 in each of the last three postseasons, posting a perfect 6-0 record in such games.
2019 Playoff Dates
Round/Format Date Location Time (ET)
Round 1 (Single Elimination): Wednesday, September 11 Chicago, Ill. 8 p.m.
Round 2 (Single Elimination): Sunday, September 15 Los Angeles, Calif. 3 p.m.
Semifinals (Best-of-Five): Tuesday, September 17 (Game 1) TBD TBD
WNBA Finals (Best-of-Five): Sunday, September 29 (Game 1) TBD TBD
After coming within one win of trip to the WNBA Finals, the Phoenix Mercury return in 2019 in search of a league-record tying fourth WNBA title. Led by the All-Star trio of Diana Taurasi, Brittney Griner and DeWanna Bonner, Phoenix looks to continue its title quest on September 11 in Chicago in Round 1 of the WNBA Playoffs.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from September 8, 2019
- Kelsey Mitchell's WNBA-Record Nine 3-Pointers and Franchise-Record 38 Points Lead Indiana to Rousing 104-76 Win in Season Finale - Indiana Fever
- Aces Secure Four Seed with 98-89 Win over Mercury - Las Vegas Aces
- Sparks Win 14th Straight at Staples Center to Close out Regular Season - Los Angeles Sparks
- Minnesota/Los Angeles Postgame Notes - Minnesota Lynx
- Mercury Headed to Chicago for Round 1 of WNBA Playoffs - Phoenix Mercury
- Minnesota Lynx Announce Multi-Year Contract Extension with Sylvia Fowles - Minnesota Lynx
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Phoenix Mercury Stories
- Diana Taurasi, Skylar Diggins-Smith Named to All-WNBA Second Team
- Bria Hartley Begins Therapy on Knee
- Survive and Advance: Mercury Moves on to Round 2 with Win over Washington, Will Face Minnesota
- Win Or Leave the Bubble: Mercury, Mystics in Round 1 of Playoffs
- Mercury Clinch Fifth Seed in 2020 WNBA Playoffs