Mecklenburg County Host American Legion Memorial Stadium Ground Breaking Ceremony
Charlotte (NC) - On Friday, Mecklenburg County Parks and Recreations will host the Ground Breaking Ceremony for American Legion Memorial Stadium renovation project. In December 2017, Mecklenburg Board of County Commissioners approved a $31.7 million proposal to renovate American Legions Memorial Stadium and Independence Park over a two year construction period with a targeted open date Spring 2021. The historical venue remains a public facility fully controlled by Mecklenburg County Parks and Recreations Department.
Fall of 2018, Queen City Soccer Club LLC. struck a deal with Mecklenburg County on a 10-year lease to play home games at the historical site when the renovations were complete.
The stadium is projected to have a 10,500 seating capacity, while improvements are made to the field to accommodate football, soccer, lacrosse and concerts. Facility upgrades will include new restrooms which meet ADA requirements, while historical features such as the ticket offices and rock wall will be preserved. This past summer, The Historical Landmarks Commission approved the design of the renovation project.
Since 2015, the Charlotte Independence professional soccer team has partnered with Mecklenburg County for USL Championship home games. A temporary facility was built at Ramblewood Soccer Complex which served as the team's home in 2015-16, and since the Independence has played and practiced at the Sportsplex at Matthews.
The Independence have announced 2020 Season Members will have priority choice in for Independence games at American Legion Memorial Stadium ahead of being sold to the general public. 2020 Season Membership will go on sale to the general public starting Friday, September 20th. For more information on 2020 Season Membership benefits, please visit charlotteindpenedence.com or call the Independence front office at 704-206-1515.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 20, 2019
- Orange County SC Look for Revenge in Tulsa - Orange County SC
- Atlanta United 2 Mutually Parts Ways with Diego Lopez - Atlanta United 2
- North Carolina FC Set to Travel to Rival Charleston Battery on Sunday - North Carolina FC
- Three Things to Know: Nashville SC vs. Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC - Nashville SC
- Real Monarchs SLC Visits Rio Grande Valley FC on Saturday - Real Monarchs SLC
- Phoenix Rising Looks to Avenge Early-Season Draw with Fresno - Phoenix Rising FC
- Memphis 901 FC Set for Downtown Memphis Showdown with Saint Louis FC Tomorrow Night - Memphis 901 FC
- North Carolina FC Signs Academy Product Ryan Spaulding - North Carolina FC
- Preview: Athletic Travels North of the Border to Start Road Trip - Hartford Athletic
- Chevron Soccer Academy Returns to Fresno County this Weekend - Fresno FC
- Match Preview: Indy Eleven Heads South to Face Birmingham Legion FC - Indy Eleven
- Championship Look Ahead - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Mecklenburg County Host American Legion Memorial Stadium Ground Breaking Ceremony - Charlotte Independence
- North Carolina FC to Hold Food Drive with Aetna and Inter-Faith Food Shuttle on October 5 - North Carolina FC
- Three Things: Ottawa 1 - 0 Rowdies - Tampa Bay Rowdies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.