Preview: Athletic Travels North of the Border to Start Road Trip
Hartford Athletic venture to the Canadian capital this weekend to face off against Ottawa Fury FC at TD Place Stadium in Ottawa. This marks the start of a two-match road trip for Athletic, the second-longest road trip of the season behind the eight-match road trip to open up the inaugural season. Here's what you need to know:
HARTFORD ATHLETIC at OTTAWA FURY FC
Date: Sunday, September 22nd
Time: 2:00 PM ET
Location: TD Place Stadium, Ottawa, Ontario
Local TV: None
WHERE TO WATCH:
Thomas Hooker Brewery at Colt, 140 Huyshope Ave., Hartford, CT
City Steam Brewery and Cafe, 942 Main St., Hartford
TK's American Cafe, 255 White St., Danbury
2nd Bridge Brewing Co., 642 Hilliard St., Manchester
Lakeview Restaurant & Bar, 50 Lake St., Coventry
LAST TIME OUT:
Athletic played a captivating brand of soccer against Louisville last Saturday, but ultimately fell 1-0 at the hands of the defending champions. The rain poured hard but the boys played harder and the effect of the near-capacity Dillon Stadium attendance and brand-new lights certainly put a zip in their step. The away side broke the scoreless tie through a first-time shot from outside the box by Napo Matsoso at the 59th minute. Hartford came close to an equalizer on several occasions - with a head from Harry Swartz and a shot to the far post from Danny Barrera as the most notable chances - but couldn't convert any opportunities.
PLAYERS TO WATCH:
Hartford Athletic - Alex Dixon, F
Able to contribute anywhere across the front-line, Alex Dixon continues to haunt opposing back lines with his pace and dribbling ability. Alex has played a part in four of Hartford's last eight goals. He contributed two assists (one indirect, led to an Own-Goal) in the 3-2 loss to St. Louis FC and chipped in with a brace in the 5-1 dismantling of Loudoun United.
Ottawa Fury FC - Carl Haworth, D
Ottawa will be without leading scorer Wal Fall after he was given two Yellow Cards on Wednesday night against Tampa Bay so Fury will turn to Haworth to pick up some of the slack. Haworth has already netted 8 goals on the season, but hasn't scored in just under a month. Expect him to pick up the slack in Fall's absence.
ABOUT THE OPPONENT:
Ottawa Fury, the only Canadian-based side playing in the USL, currently sit in 8th place with 42 points. Ottawa comes into the match off of a huge win over 4th place Tampa Bay Rowdies at home on Wednesday night. Prior to Wednesday's win, Fury had lost 4 consecutive matches. The Ottawans are looking to close the gap on Louisville City, who sit comfortably in 7th with 47 points. Hot on their heels are Saint Louis FC and Birmingham Legion who have 41 and 36 points respectively.
Can't watch? Stay in touch with our live commentary @hfdathletic or by following #HFDvOTT
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 20, 2019
- Orange County SC Look for Revenge in Tulsa - Orange County SC
- Atlanta United 2 Mutually Parts Ways with Diego Lopez - Atlanta United 2
- North Carolina FC Set to Travel to Rival Charleston Battery on Sunday - North Carolina FC
- Three Things to Know: Nashville SC vs. Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC - Nashville SC
- Real Monarchs SLC Visits Rio Grande Valley FC on Saturday - Real Monarchs SLC
- Phoenix Rising Looks to Avenge Early-Season Draw with Fresno - Phoenix Rising FC
- Memphis 901 FC Set for Downtown Memphis Showdown with Saint Louis FC Tomorrow Night - Memphis 901 FC
- North Carolina FC Signs Academy Product Ryan Spaulding - North Carolina FC
- Preview: Athletic Travels North of the Border to Start Road Trip - Hartford Athletic
- Chevron Soccer Academy Returns to Fresno County this Weekend - Fresno FC
- Match Preview: Indy Eleven Heads South to Face Birmingham Legion FC - Indy Eleven
- Championship Look Ahead - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Mecklenburg County Host American Legion Memorial Stadium Ground Breaking Ceremony - Charlotte Independence
- North Carolina FC to Hold Food Drive with Aetna and Inter-Faith Food Shuttle on October 5 - North Carolina FC
- Three Things: Ottawa 1 - 0 Rowdies - Tampa Bay Rowdies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hartford Athletic Stories
- Danny Bedoya Named to USL Championship Team of the Week
- Four Second-Half Goals Push Hartford to Victory over Birmingham Legion FC
- Preview: Athletic Host Birmingham in Rare Wednesday Night Match
- 2 Goals Power Hartford to a Draw against Swope Park
- Preview: Final Homestand of the Season Kicks off Saturday