Chevron Soccer Academy Returns to Fresno County this Weekend
Fresno, Calif. - Chevron U.S.A. Inc. (Chevron), Open Goal Project and the Fresno Football Club (FFC) will host the second Chevron Soccer Academy in Fresno - a partnership designed to integrate soccer and science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) learning. Through this collaboration, local youth will see visible pathways to success on and off the field.
Approximately 300 boys and girls ages 9-18 from Fresno County (Coalinga, Huron, Firebaugh and Mendota) will receive firsthand soccer training from professional coaches and get an up-close look at what it takes to play soccer at a high level. The Academy will also feature special appearances from current Foxes players. And, participants will be inspired by STEM learning through the science of soccer, as part of Chevron's commitment to equipping youth with the critical skills they will need to succeed in jobs of the future.
The program is designed to help ensure all children have access to youth soccer at a time when income disparity can limit youth from competing in the sport they love.
"Chevron is excited to partner with Open Goal Project and the Fresno Football Club to bring the Chevron Soccer Academy back to the Fresno area" said Patty Canessa, Public Affairs Manager for Chevron in the San Joaquin Valley. "Participants will not only get free access to high level soccer training from former and current professionals, but will also learn how science integrates with the sport and how STEM could be part of their future."
"We're so proud and excited to continue our partnership with Chevron and Fresno FC and to bring the Chevron Soccer Academy by Open Goal Project program back to Fresno in 2019. The impact we saw the program have on Fresno area boys and girls in 2018 was powerful, and we're confident that the 2019 program will continue to have that impact. The importance of delivering this unique experience to young players from communities like Huron, Coalinga, Mendota, and Firebaugh, can't be understated. Connecting them with such a diverse collection of stars with international playing experience on the field, and empowering them to learn about STEM through the lens of the beautiful game off the field, is incredibly special and we know it will continue to push them to strive for more as players and as students."
Fresno FC is in its second season in the USL Championship, where the Foxes are in the hunt for a top playoff spot in the Western Conference, sitting in second place with three home games remaining.
The boys' combine will take place on Saturday, September 21, the morning of Fresno FC's matchup against first-place Phoenix Rising FC, and the girls' combine will take place on Sunday, September 22. All events will take place at Chukchansi Park with a focus on standard game play and strategy. Participants will also have an opportunity to hear players discuss their respective journeys to professional soccer.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 20, 2019
- Orange County SC Look for Revenge in Tulsa - Orange County SC
- Atlanta United 2 Mutually Parts Ways with Diego Lopez - Atlanta United 2
- North Carolina FC Set to Travel to Rival Charleston Battery on Sunday - North Carolina FC
- Three Things to Know: Nashville SC vs. Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC - Nashville SC
- Real Monarchs SLC Visits Rio Grande Valley FC on Saturday - Real Monarchs SLC
- Phoenix Rising Looks to Avenge Early-Season Draw with Fresno - Phoenix Rising FC
- Memphis 901 FC Set for Downtown Memphis Showdown with Saint Louis FC Tomorrow Night - Memphis 901 FC
- North Carolina FC Signs Academy Product Ryan Spaulding - North Carolina FC
- Preview: Athletic Travels North of the Border to Start Road Trip - Hartford Athletic
- Chevron Soccer Academy Returns to Fresno County this Weekend - Fresno FC
- Match Preview: Indy Eleven Heads South to Face Birmingham Legion FC - Indy Eleven
- Championship Look Ahead - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Mecklenburg County Host American Legion Memorial Stadium Ground Breaking Ceremony - Charlotte Independence
- North Carolina FC to Hold Food Drive with Aetna and Inter-Faith Food Shuttle on October 5 - North Carolina FC
- Three Things: Ottawa 1 - 0 Rowdies - Tampa Bay Rowdies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno FC Stories
- Fresno Football Club Issues Official Statement
- No. 3 Fresno FC vs. No. 6 El Paso Locomotive FC Playoff Preview
- Nine-Man Foxes Side Falls at Orange County to End Regular Season
- Zorros Draw 2-2 with La Galaxy II on Stand up 2 Cancer Night
- Fresno FC vs. LA Galaxy II Preview