Mavericks Sign Two More Forwards
INDEPENDENCE, Missouri Missouri Mavericks Head Coach Scott Hillman announced Thursday the Central Hockey League (CHL) club has signed forwards Sam Bowles and Shane Jury for the teams inaugural season.
Bowles, 24 (1/25/85), is entering his sophomore season professionally having played for the CHLs New Mexico Scorpions and Southern Professional Hockey Leagues Columbus Cottonmouths during his rookie campaign last year. The Davidson, Maryland native had four goals and four assists with the Scorpions in 19 games before finishing out the season in Columbus. Bowles (5-foot-10, 195-pounds) finished with 53 points (22-31=53) in just 44 games with the Cottonmouths averaging over a point-per-game.
After a strong career at Union College where he learned to be a shut down forward Sam quickly regained his scoring touch from his junior days, said Hillman. Training camp will allow him a fresh start with a coach that believes in him and his ability to play a complete game. Like many of our guys they understand that they will have to compete for their job but that is what pro hockey is all about.
Jury, 20 (11/14/88), is entering his rookie season having played the last four years in the Manitoba Junior Hockey League (MJHL). The Minnedosa, Manitoba native played in 179 games with the Neepawa Natives scoring 177 points (72-105=177). The 5-foot-10, 184-pound forward led the Natives in scoring with 71 points (27-44=71) last season, his final season in juniors.
Shane is a rugged forward that will bring a ton of energy and he has the ability to chip in offensively, said Hillman. He can play a really physical role and time will tell if he has all the tools to make the jump to professional hockey. He is very excited to come in and try to earn his first job in professional hockey.
The Mavericks now have 16 players signed for the teams training camp set to begin on October 5.
Players signed for the Mavericks 2009-10 inaugural season are as follows:
Forwards Defensemen Goaltenders
Jeff Christian Shaun Arvai Mike GormanTravis Kauffeldt Tyler Fleck Doug GroenestegeCarlyle Lewis Doug MacIverBill Vandermeer Travis Martell
The Mavericks opening weekend at the brand-new Independence Events Center is November 13-14 against the Wichita Thunder. Season tickets are on sale now starting at $352, and group tickets start as low as $10 per person. The Mavericks 32-game home schedule can be found at www.MissouriMavericks.com. For more information, call the Mavericks front office at (816) 252-PUCK (7825).
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from September 24, 2009
- Coca-Cola/Mudbugs Family Pack Returns for 09-10 - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Mavericks Sign Two More Forwards - Kansas City Mavericks
- Bucks, LEC Bring Back Tailgating - Laredo Bucks
- RiverKings Players and Fans Cooking Up Fun - Mississippi RiverKings
- Sundogs Return Two in Lehtinen and Hanson - Arizona Sundogs
- Defensemen push training camp roster to 20 - Amarillo Gorillas
- Bucks Sign Two, Including Enforcer Richards - Laredo Bucks
- Jacks Bring Sesame Street Live to Permian Basin - Odessa Jackalopes
- Bucks to Hold Press Conference Today - Laredo Bucks
- Coyotes Nip Lightning in Shootout at BEC - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- Mavericks Announce 2019-20 Regular Season Home Schedule
- Mavericks Trainer Nick Potter Wins ECHL Athletic Trainer of the Year Award
- Kansas City Mavericks Wrap up 10th Season with Return to the Playoffs
- Mavericks Eliminated in Game Seven Loss at Tulsa
- Mavericks Head to Game Seven After 4-2 Loss in Game Six at Tulsa