Mavericks Sign Forward from Missouri and Two Defensemen
INDEPENDENCE, Missouri - Missouri Mavericks' Head Coach Scott Hillman announced Tuesday the Central Hockey League (CHL) club has signed forward Derek Pallardy and defensemen Derek Buors and Andrew Davis for the team's inaugural season.
Pallardy, 26 (7/16/83), is a native of Chesterfield, Missouri and is entering his second professional season. The 5-foot-10, 175-pound forward played for head coach Scott Hillman during his rookie season for the Southern Professional Hockey League's (SPHL) Knoxville Ice Bears. Prior to turning pro, Pallardy played four seasons in the NCAA for Merrimack College where he totaled 21 points (6-15=21) in 126 games played.
"Derek Pallardy is a guy that will do whatever it takes in order to help a team win," said Hillman. "I watched him mature and he was a key factor in our team winning the championship in Knoxville last season. He is one of the best shot blockers in the game and is willing to sacrifice his body on a shift by shift basis. He is also the only player on our roster from the state of Missouri so I am sure he will have a lot of people pulling for him to make this club."
Buors, 21 (4/18/88), comes to the Mavericks having played the past three seasons in the Manitoba Junior Hockey League (MJHL) for the Winnipeg Saints. The 6-foot-2, 210-pound defenseman finished with 87 points (28-59=87) and 481 penalty minutes in 167 games with the Saints. The Winnipeg, Manitoba native finished second in scoring amongst defensemen in each of the last two seasons and was the highest scoring defenseman for the Saints during the 2006-07 season.
"Derek Buors is a young, aggressive, hard working defenseman," said Hillman. "Derek plays a lot like Mavericks' defenseman Tyler Fleck, and if he can make the transition to the speed of the pro game he will learn a lot from Tyler and will be able to mold his game by watching a more experienced teammate."
The Mavericks have also announced defenseman Andrew Davis, who rights were recently traded to the team by the Wichita Thunder, has signed a contract with the Mavericks. Davis, 28 (6/11/81), is entering his fifth season having played 160 of his 176 professional games in the CHL. The Nepean, Ontario native recorded 15 points (3-12=15) and 135 penalty minutes in 41 games with the Thunder last season. The 6-foot-0, 195-pound defenseman has a total of 60 points (12-48=60) and 466 penalty minutes in the CHL with the Thunder, Odessa Jackalopes and Memphis RiverKings.
The Mavericks now have 20 players signed for the team's training camp set to begin on October 5.
Players signed for the Mavericks' 2009-10 inaugural season are as follows:
Forwards Defensemen Goaltenders
Kyle Bochek Shaun Arvai Mike Gorman
Sam Bowles Derek Buors Doug Groenestege
Jeff Christian Andrew Davis
Chad Hinz Tyler Fleck
Shane Jury Doug MacIver
Carlyle Lewis Travis Martell
The Mavericks opening weekend at the brand-new Independence Events Center is November 13-14 against the Wichita Thunder. Season tickets are on sale now starting at $352, and group tickets start as low as $10 per person. For more information, call the Mavericks' front office at (816) 252-PUCK (7825).
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from September 29, 2009
- Sundogs Set to Open 2009 Training Camp Monday - Arizona Sundogs
- Killer Bees Add Two More To Roster, Set Training Camp Schedule - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- RiverKings on the Radio in the Mid-South - Mississippi RiverKings
- Corpus Christi IceRays Launch New Website - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Sundogs Partner with Prescott Area Habitat for Humanity to Help Build Houses - Arizona Sundogs
- Eagles Camp Set to Begin October 5th - Colorado Eagles
- Bucks to Announce Dube's Future Thursday - Laredo Bucks
- Mavericks Sign Forward from Missouri and Two Defensemen - Kansas City Mavericks
- Texas Brahmas Single Tickets On Sale Tomorrow - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Americans release talent-filled training camp roster, camp schedule - Allen Americans
- Original Buck Weidlich Signs In SPHL - Laredo Bucks
- Case For The Defense - Tulsa Oilers
- Rush Reschedule Golf Tournament due to Weather - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.