Mavericks Add NHL Veteran Jed Ortmeyer and Defenseman J.P. Testwuide
INDEPENDENCE, Missouri - The Missouri Mavericks announced Friday the Central Hockey League (CHL) team has signed forward Jed Ortmeyer and defenseman J.P. Testwuide. Both players are expected to be in the Mavericks lineup tonight when the team hosts the Denver Cutthroats at Independence Events Center.
"The timing of adding these quality, high-level players to our depleted line-up could not be better," said Mavericks' Head Coach Scott Hillman. "Both Jed and J.P. are professionals that will lead by example and help our younger players understand the mental and physical approach it takes to play at the next level. Both players will add grit and depth to our line-up."
Ortmeyer, 34 (9/3/78), is a veteran of 345 games in the National Hockey League (NHL) and most recently played in 35 games with the Minnesota Wild last season. The 6-foot-1, 205-pound forward has 53 points (22-31=53) and 161 penalty minutes in stints with four different NHL clubs (New York Rangers, Nashville, San Jose, Minnesota).
The Omaha, Nebraska native has split time between the American Hockey League (AHL) and NHL throughout his 10-year career and he has 154 points (58-96=154) in 576 games played.
Ortmeyer attended the University of Michigan and skated in 145 career games with the Wolverines collecting 117 points (51-66=117) over the course of four seasons (1999-2003).
"Being able to add two players of their caliber mid-season is a huge statement about this organization and our fans," said Mavericks' President and General Manager Brent Thiessen. "We have had a recent run of injuries and we couldn't be happier to welcome them to our line-up. Our fans will see two very talented players at the IEC this weekend."
Testwuide, 28 (11/5/84), played the previous three seasons in the AHL with four separate teams and he added four games with the Mavericks last season. The fourth-year pro has played in a total of 153 professional games and has 16 points (3-13=16) and 203 penalty minutes. The 6-foot, 203-pound defenseman has also played in 21 playoff games in the AHL where he accounted for a goal and an assist and 16 penalty minutes.
A native of Vail, Colorado, Testwuide spent four years at the University of Denver before turning pro. With the Pioneers, he recorded 23 assists, 28 points and 282 penalty minutes in 144 games from 2005 to 2009.
The Mavericks take on the Denver Cutthroats tonight at Independence Events Center. Missouri will host the Tulsa Oilers in the team's annual Pink in the Rink night on Saturday. Tickets on are sale via Ticketmaster.com, by calling (800) 745-3000 or by heading to the Silverstein Eye Centers Box Office. Parking is always free at Independence Events Center. For more information on the Missouri Mavericks visit www.MissouriMavericks.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from January 25, 2013
- Wray & Surma Each Net Two in Thrilling 4-3 Overtime Triumph Versus Americans - Rapid City Rush
- Scott Wray's two goals buries Allen - Allen Americans
- Mavs Lose Second Straight, 4-1 to Denver - Kansas City Mavericks
- Cutthroats Power Play Key in 4-1 Win Over Missouri - Denver Cutthroats
- Mallards Blank Sundogs 5-0 - Quad City Mallards
- Blaze fall in shootout at Fort Worth - Bloomington Blaze
- Mavericks Add NHL Veteran Jed Ortmeyer and Defenseman J.P. Testwuide - Kansas City Mavericks
- Shots from the Point for January 25, 2013 - CHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- Atlanta's Late Goals Haunt Mavericks, KC Downed 4-3
- Durocher's Hat Trick Not Enough in Mavericks 5-3 Loss at South Carolina
- Mavericks Can't Contain Greenville, Drop Second Game of Road Trip 5-3
- Mavs Monday: East Coast Road Trip
- Mavericks Falter in Third Period, Fall 6-2 to Tulsa