Cutthroats Power Play Key in 4-1 Win Over Missouri
INDEPENDENCE, Mo. - Two power play goals in the first period put the Denver Cutthroats in front and Kieran Millan made the lead stick with 37 saves in a 4-1 victory over the Missouri Mavericks on Friday night in front of a sold out crowd at the Independence Events Center.
Ben Wilson and Luke Fulghum each scored the man-advantage tallies for the Cutthroats (21-15-4). Troy Schwab led the way offensively with a three-point night (one goal, two assists). Fulghum finished with a pair of goals as the Cutthroats handed the Mavericks (20-14-4) only their third loss in their last 11 home games.
Wilson opened up the scoring at 11:10 of the first for his sixth of the season to give Denver a 1-0 lead. Fulghum then buried a one-timer from the left circle off Schwab's crossing feed with 1:35 left in the frame to close out a two-man advantage for the Fish. Schwab also assisted on Wilson's tally along with AJ Gale, who extended his point streak to six games.
Millan took over for the final two periods as the Cutthroats were outshot 34-10, but allowing just one goal. Ryan Jardine put the Mavericks on the board midway through the second driving down the slot, but Schwab answered back for the Cutthroats with 2:34 left during a stretch of 4-on-4 play for his 13th of the year.
Fulghum added an empty-net goal for Denver in the final seconds of the third for the 4-1 final.
The win was Millan's first since shutting out the Rapid City Rush, 3-0, December 18. Mike Clemente took the loss for Missouri, stopping 21 of 24 shots. Fulghum added an empty-net goal for Denver in the final seconds for a 4-1 final.
Denver finished 2-for-6 on the power play. Missouri went 0-for-6.
With the win the Cutthroats take over sole possession of fourth place in the Central Hockey League.
Denver's three-game weekend shifts to Wichita, Kan. on Saturday when they visit the Thunder for the first time this season. Puck drop is set for 6:05 PM MST at Intrust Bank Arena.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from January 25, 2013
- Wray & Surma Each Net Two in Thrilling 4-3 Overtime Triumph Versus Americans - Rapid City Rush
- Scott Wray's two goals buries Allen - Allen Americans
- Mavs Lose Second Straight, 4-1 to Denver - Kansas City Mavericks
- Cutthroats Power Play Key in 4-1 Win Over Missouri - Denver Cutthroats
- Mallards Blank Sundogs 5-0 - Quad City Mallards
- Blaze fall in shootout at Fort Worth - Bloomington Blaze
- Mavericks Add NHL Veteran Jed Ortmeyer and Defenseman J.P. Testwuide - Kansas City Mavericks
- Shots from the Point for January 25, 2013 - CHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Denver Cutthroats Stories
- Veteran Defenseman Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Former Open Tryout Participant Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Denver Cutthroats Hold Third Annual Open Tryouts
- Denver Cutthroats Add Two More to 2014-15 Roster
- Two Veterans Add Depth to Cutthroats 2014-15 Roster