Match Preview | Ottawa Fury FC vs Saint Louis FC (September 4)
OTTAWA - Three games, three cities, eight days.
That's what's on deck for Ottawa Fury FC as the club hits the road for an extended road trip that will include stops in Saint Louis and Atlanta on Wednesday and Friday nights this week, followed by a date with Indy Eleven on September 11.
Fury will be on a mission to start a new win streak after falling to Pittsburgh last weekend, a bump in the road in a run that had seen Fury pick up a pair of wins and a draw in three USL Championship fixtures prior to that.
Fury continues to hold down eighth spot in the USL Championship's Eastern Conference and will look to make a move upwards over the next week away from home.
Fury FC and Saint Louis FC met recently, with Ottawa picking up the three points in a 2-1 win at TD Place.
Saint Louis has one Canadian player on their roster, defender and Burnaby, BC native Paris Gee.
Fury's Wal Fall started 22 games for Saint Louis last season, playing more than 1,700 minutes for the club.
Saint Louis sits in 11th place in the Eastern Conference, 10 points behind Fury FC.
Atlanta United 2 sits in 16th spot in the conference, 19 points behind Fury FC.
Ottawa has two wins and a draw against Atlanta United 2 this year.
Fury will be without Christiano Francois, who is off on international duty with the Haitian National Team.
Scouting Saint Louis FC: Both of Ottawa's opponents this week sit well below them in the standings. Saint Louis, for its part, finds itself 10 points back of Fury on the Eastern Conference Table, though the club is just one point off a post-season position. Offensively, Saint Louis FC is led by Kyle Greig and Sam Fink, who come into Wednesday's game with seven and six goals, respectively. Saint Louis is coming off a 3-2 win over Hartford Athletic but had dropped two-straight before that.
Scouting Atlanta United II: Like Saint Louis, Atlanta United 2 finds themselves well below Fury in the standings, though even further out of playoff positioning heading into Week 27 of USL Championship action. Atlanta is led offensively by Bienvenue Kanakimana and his six goals on the year, followed by five goals from Jackson Conway. United 2 has lost its past two games and three of the past four.
What they're saying
Head Coach Nikola Popovic
"It's an important stretch for us. These three games are going to test us and see how we're going to respond, knowing that two of our key players in Mour (Samb) and Christiano (François) will be missing. This is a very good chance for the players that are starving for an opportunity for them to show their quality and that they are capable of stepping up."
"I think it's all about consistency. We saw how good of a match we played against Saint Louis, especially in the first half, and then we saw our level going down and up against Pittsburgh, so I think that until we show that we can consistently play at a high level, we will have to focus on the little things that make us play to that level."
D Carl Haworth
"I think it's fantastic that we're headed out on the road, especially given the recent result on Friday, it'll kind of let us get away from here, forget about that, move on and let us gel as a group. It says a lot when you're spending a lot of time together."
"It was individual errors. I know some of the guys were disappointed with their own performances, we all are as a group, letting four goals in in front of our home fans and lose is difficult, so we'll just regroup and get the mentality right for this one."
HOW TO WATCH
LIVE STREAM: OttawaFuryFC.com
TWITTER: Follow @OTTAWAFURYFC for LIVE updates #OTTvSTL #ForTheFury
TICKETS: Get your tickets at OttawaFuryFC.com
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 3, 2019
- Lights FC Announce "La Bonita Family 4-Pack" with Official Lights FC Youth Jersey for Only $44 - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Legion FC Announces Fall Promotional Schedule - Birmingham Legion FC
- STLFC vs. Ottawa Fury FC FAQs - Saint Louis FC
- Independence Partners with DICK's Sporting Goods - Charlotte Independence
- Najem Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Memphis 901 FC
- Justin Dhillon Named to USL Championship Team of the Week for Week 26 - Tacoma Defiance
- Match Preview | Ottawa Fury FC vs Saint Louis FC (September 4) - Ottawa Fury FC
- Indy Eleven to Host Popular Soccer Broadcaster Fernando Fiore on Hispanic Heritage Night - Indy Eleven
- Reno Signs German Attacker to 2019 Contract - Reno 1868 FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Revives Saints-And-Sinners Rivalry with Las Vegas Lights FC - Real Monarchs SLC
- Preview | Indy Eleven Hosts Eastern Conference Leaders New York Red Bulls II - Indy Eleven
- Bradley Bourgeois Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Nashville SC
- Pittsburgh's Brett Voted Championship Player of the Week - USL
- Adam Jahn Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Phoenix Rising FC
- Nashville SC Climbs Three Spots in USL Championship Power Rankings - Nashville SC
- Two Energy FC Players Called up to National Teams - OKC Energy FC
- Championship Weekend Recap - Tampa Bay Rowdies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.