Mallards Win Second Half, Clinch Playoff Spot
The Madison Mallards hosted the Fond Du Lac Dock Spiders in an elimination game with their chances of making the playoffs on the line, and they came out on top by a final of 11-5, clinching a spot in the Northwoods League playoffs.
It was an eventful first inning as the Ducks surrendered two, but brought in five of their own on a bases-loaded single from Zach Storbakken (Madison College). That brought in three runs and cleared the bases.
The Mallards cleared the bases another time in the game as well, as in the fifth Tyler Dean (St. Edwards) hit a bases-clearing double deep into center to put the Mallards up 10-5.
It was the second game in a row the Mallards scored 11 runs on the Dock Spiders pitching staff, totaling 22 runs for the two-game sweep.
Tomorrow, the Mallards will host Fond Du La in game one of the sub-divisional series at 3:05 p.m. Tickets are now available on the Mallards website for grandstand seats only.
Game two and game three if necessary will be in Fond Du Lac at Herr-Baker Field. First pitch for Monday night's game is scheduled for 6:35 p.m.
The Mallards finish as the second-half champions of the Great Lakes West division, edging out both Fond Du Lac and the Woodchucks, who's loss last night against the Rafters put the Mallards in position to clinch tonight with a win.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 14, 2021
- Woodchucks Set Franchise Record with Winning Finale - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Booyah Fall in Season Finale - Green Bay Rockers
- MoonDogs Fall Hosting Honkers in Regular Season Finale - Mankato MoonDogs
- Rafters Complete 2021 Season - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Pit Spitters Swept, Prepare for Postseason - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Bombers Walk off the Final Game of 2021 - Battle Creek Bombers
- Mallards Win Second Half, Clinch Playoff Spot - Madison Mallards
- Rox Finish Regular Season with 50 Wins, Look Towards Playoff Series with Mankato - St. Cloud Rox
- Huskies End Regular Season on High Note - Duluth Huskies
- Booyah to End Season on Saturday - Green Bay Rockers
- Mallards Set to Fight for Playoff Spot in Regular Season Finale - Madison Mallards
- Bucks Win 2nd Half Title; Will Host All First Round Games - Waterloo Bucks
- Huskies Will Play the Great Plains East Series in Waterloo - Duluth Huskies
- Pit Spitters Start Playoffs at Home Sunday, August 15 - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Kingfish Fall to Rockford in Game 71 - Kenosha Kingfish
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Madison Mallards Stories
- Field Manager Donnie Scott Returns to Madison Mallards
- Mallards Add Three to Community Ticket Sales Team
- Madison Mallards Introduce the Maynard's Dozen
- Mallards Fall in Divisional Championship to Traverse City
- Mallards Head to Traverse City for Divisional Championship