Magic Top Charge in Sunday Matinee
CANTON, OH - The Canton Charge (18-26), powered by the Cleveland Cavaliers, fell to the Southeast Division leading Lakeland Magic (28-17), 103-97, Sunday afternoon at the Canton Memorial Civic Center.
Coming off a hot-shooting performance in yesterday's contest against the Wisconsin Herd, the Charge picked up right where they left off in the first quarter, shooting 55% from the field. The starting frontcourt of Jaron Blossomgame, JaCorey Williams and Levi Randolph combined for 23 of the Charge's 27 points in the period. The Charge assisted on 9-of-12 made field goals en route to outscoring the Magic 27-25 after the first 12 minutes of play.
The Magic controlled the second quarter behind a staunch defensive effort, holding Canton to 29% shooting on just 6-of-21 attempts from the field. The Magic defense wreaked havoc on the perimeter, forcing Canton into 1-of-7 shooting from beyond the arc. The Magic were equally impressive on the offensive side of the ball, assisting on all nine made field goal attempts in the period. Trailing the Charge 43-39 with 3:19 remaining, the Magic stormed out on a 12-0 run entering the half. The complementary effort on both sides of the ball led to the Magic outscoring the Charge 26-16 in the second, giving the visitors the 51-43 lead entering the break.
Trailing by as many as eight in the third quarter, the Charge rallied back to tie the game at 72 with 2:50 remaining in the third. Randolph and Blossomgame combined for 25 of the Charge's 34 points in the period to spur the hosts. Magic guard Anthony Brown buried a three-pointer with 5 seconds remaining to give the Magic an 80-77 lead after three quarters of play.
The two teams exchanged the lead four times throughout the fourth quarter. The Charge trailed by just one but after a crucial Scoochie Smith turnover, Lakeland's Gabe York drained a 32-foot three-pointer to take a 101-97 lead with less than 30 seconds left. The Magic finished the game on a 5-0 run to hold on for the 103-97 win.
The shorthanded Charge were once again without leading scorer Kobi Simmons (hip), Deng Adel (illness) and Sir'Dominic Pointer (thumb). Blossomgame recorded his fourth double-double of the season with 31 points and 13 rebounds in 40 minutes of action. Randolph provided 26 points for the Charge including six three-pointers. Williams added a double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds.
The Magic were led by John Petrucelli's 28-point performance. Also contributing were York and Anthony Brown with 19 apiece, while Devin Davis snagged 10 boards. Lakeland's bench outscored Canton's reserves, 33-16.
The Charge finish their three-game homestand Tuesday evening, March 12th at 7:00 p.m. against the Stockton Kings. (TV: Facebook Live; RADIO: 99.7 FM). For Charge Nation Memberships, group outings, game day promotions and up-to-date information, head to CantonCharge.com or call 866-444-1944. The Canton Charge are part of the Cleveland Cavaliers and Quicken Loans Arena organization and are also owned by a group led by Cavaliers Chairman and Quicken Loans Founder and Chairman Dan Gilbert. The group also owns and operates the Cleveland Monsters of the American Hockey League, who play their games at Quicken Loans Arena in downtown Cleveland.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 10, 2019
- Epps, Obasohan Lead Suns Rout of Legends - Northern Arizona Suns
- Long Island Defeats Iowa for Ninth Win in a Row - Long Island Nets
- BayHawks Cruise Past Go-Go - Erie BayHawks
- Magic Top Charge in Sunday Matinee - Canton Charge
- Road Woes Continue for Iowa in Loss to Long Island - Iowa Wolves
- San Antonio Recalls Chimezie Metu and Lonnie Walker IV from Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Allen, Knicks Stop Red Claws - Maine Red Claws
- Knicks Land Seven in Double-Figures in 115-106 Win over Maine - Westchester Knicks
- South Bay Falls to Clippers in Ontario - South Bay Lakers
- Clippers Close in on Final Playoff Spot with Win over Lakers - Agua Caliente Clippers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Canton Charge Stories
- Update on Dan Gilbert's Health
- Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Monsters and Canton Charge Announce New-Look-Game Entertainment Teams
- Salt Lake City Summer League Announces Game Schedule
- Running of the Bulls - Charge Cap off Campaign with Win
- Charge Stall in Grand Rapids