Magic Number to Clinch South Division Is 1
TAMPA, Fla. - Ryan Jeffers blasted a pair of two-run home runs as the Fort Myers Miracle defeated the Tampa Tarpons, 6-1, in game one of a doubleheader on Tuesday afternoon at George M. Steinbrenner Field.
The win reduced the Miracle magic number to one in the Florida State League South Division. Fort Myers can clinch the first half crown later this evening with a win or a Bradenton loss.
The first of Jeffers' two blasts came in the top of the first and gave the Miracle a 2-0 lead. Michael Helman extended the lead to 4-0 in the following inning with a two-run double to right.
Giancarlo Stanton, on an MLB rehab assignment, provided Tampa's only run of the game with a long solo home run to right in the bottom of the fifth.
In the sixth, Jeffers launched his second home run of the game, and third of the series, to finish off the scoring.
Tyler Watson started for the Miracle and pitched 4.2 innings. Watson allowed one run on seven hits. Joe Record (1-1) earned his first win in a Miracle uniform with 2.1 scoreless innings of relief.
Game two of the twin bill is set for 7:30 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from June 11, 2019
- Blue Jays Batter Florida in Twin Bill Sweep - Florida Fire Frogs
- Stanton Homers, But Fort Myers Sweeps Doubleheader - Tampa Tarpons
- Seven-Run Second Leads 'Tugas over Tigers, 9-4 - Daytona Tortugas
- Ervin Santana, Zabaleta Combine for 5-0 Shutout - St. Lucie Mets
- Miracle Clinch South Division Title - Fort Myers Miracle
- Stone Crabs and Marauders Suspended in Third Inning - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Magic Number to Clinch South Division Is 1 - Fort Myers Miracle
- Stone Crabs Game Notes - Tue, June 11 vs Bradenton - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Dunedin Looks to Clinch with a Win against the Fire Frogs - Dunedin Blue Jays
- Fort Myers Miracle Welcome Stanley from the Office to Hammond Stadium on June 28 - Fort Myers Miracle
- OF/DH Giancarlo Stanton to Rejoin Tarpons on Rehab Assignment - Tampa Tarpons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.