M-Braves Drop Series Opener to Wahoos
PEARL, MS - The Mississippi Braves (25-29, 58-66) began the second leg of their homestand on Sunday evening at Trustmark Park, falling to the Pensacola Blue Wahoos (30-24, 68-56) in game one of a six-game series in five days. In the loss, the M-Braves out-hit Pensacola 10-6 with Ryan Casteel, Greyson Jenista and Carlos Martinez recording two hits each.
After a pair of thunderstorms passed through Central Mississippi on Sunday afternoon, the game began on time and saw the M-Braves take an early 2-0 lead. Casteel started the bottom of the second inning with a double and came into score on a one-out William Contreras double to give the Braves a 1-0 lead. Later with two outs, Martinez drove home Contreras to make it 2-0.
Connor Johnstone (L, 5-4) made his third-straight start on Sunday and tossed 3.2 shutout innings before the Blue Wahoos rallied with two outs. Six straight Wahoos reached base safely, and the Twins affiliate took a 3-2 lead on an RBI double by Jimmy Kerrigan, RBI triple from Mark Contreras and RBI single by Caleb Hamilton. Pensacola made it 4-2 on a solo home run from Trevor Larnach in the fifth inning.
Johnstone gave up four runs on six hits over 5.0 innings with three walks and six strikeouts.
The Braves pulled within a run in the fifth inning against Pensacola starter Jhoan Duran (W, 2-3). Trey Harris and Casteel hit back-to-back two-out singles, and then Jenista hit a ground-rule double to left scoring Harris to trim the deficit to one at 4-3.
The M-Braves bullpen was once again great on Sunday. Kurt Hoekstra worked 3.0 no-hit innings, walking two and striking out three. Thomas Burrows struck out one in a perfect top of the ninth inning. Over the last two days, the 'pen has logged 9.1 innings of one-hit baseball with 13 strikeouts and two walks.
Anthony Vizcaya (S, 4) pitched the ninth inning for the Blue Wahoos and gave up a one single to RIley Unroe and then walked Lane Adams. With the tying run in scoring position, Vizcayo retired the next two M-Braves batters to end the game.
The loss dropped the Braves to 2-4 in the homestand and 8-10 against the Blue Wahoos.
The M-Braves and Blue Wahoos will make up a rainout from July 20 and play a doubleheader on Monday night at Trustmark Park. RHP Jasseel De La Cruz (4-7, 4.11) will start game one for Mississippi against LHP Bryan Sammons (5-5, 4.45) for the Blue Wahoos. The second game starter for each club has yet to be determined. First pitch of game one is set for 5:05 pm with coverage beginning at 5:00 pm on 103.9 WYAB, TuneIn Radio, First Pitch App. and MiLB.tv (subscription required).
SportClips Military Monday - All members and veterans of all branches of the U.S. Military receive FREE Field Level or General Admission tickets when presenting a valid ID. One random fan, representing the military, will receive a SportClips Prize pack. All members and veterans of all branches of the U.S. Military receive $5 tickets to all other games with ID.
Nurses Night - All nurses and healthcare professionals receive $3 admission for themselves and up to four guests at the box office with I.D.
Mustard Monday - Free samples of mustards from around the world. Mustard games for kids!
The Mississippi Braves are the Double-A affiliate of the Atlanta Braves. Since the inaugural 2005 season, 146 M-Braves have gone on to Major League Baseball. The M-Braves have made postseason play four times and went on to win the Southern League Championship in 2008. Stop by Trustmark Park or call 888-BRAVES4 Monday through Friday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. For the latest news and updates, visit mississippibraves.com or connect with @mbraves on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from August 18, 2019
- Short Staff Does the Job in 4-3 Victory - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Generals Sneak by Smokies in Opener, 3-2 - Jackson Generals
- Smokies Edged in Series Opener at Jackson - Tennessee Smokies
- Too Much Lookouts Power for Mobile - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Nolan Guides Barons Past Shrimp in Opener - Birmingham Barons
- M-Braves Drop Series Opener to Wahoos - Mississippi Braves
- Barons Top Shrimp 6-2 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Shuckers Blanked by Biscuits in Series Opener - Biloxi Shuckers
- Biscuits Blank Shuckers, 4-0 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Generals Gameday: August 18 vs. Tennessee - Jackson Generals
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp: Game Notes, August 18 at Birmingham - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Homestand Highlights: August 18-22 vs. Pensacola Blue Wahoos - Mississippi Braves
- Blue Wahoos Staff Stifles Lookouts - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Mississippi Braves Stories
- Minor League Baseball Announces There Will Not be a 2020 Season
- Trustmark Park to Host 4th of July Fireworks Show
- M-Braves Partnering with MiLB to Launch CommUNITY First Campaign
- Minor League Baseball Offering Fans Free Preview of MiLB.TV
- Braves Bookworms Reading Program from Home