Shuckers Blanked by Biscuits in Series Opener
MONTGOMERY, AL - In a battle of the Southern League's two top records, the Biloxi Shuckers (76-49, 35-20 2nd Half) managed just five singles and were held off the board Sunday evening, falling 4-0 to the Montgomery Biscuits (81-45, 37-19 2nd Half) in the series opener. Bowden Francis (L, 6-8) delivered seven strong innings on the mound while the offense struggled to find its groove against a trio of Biscuits arms.
After retiring the side in order in the first inning, Francis allowed a lead-off double in the second to Tristan Gray. Two batters later, Josh Lowe roped a double of his own to score Gray for a 1-0 Biscuits lead. Taylor Walls added to the lead with an RBI single in the third before Francis settled and held Montgomery scoreless through the sixth.
Cooper Hummel enjoyed a 3-for-3 night at the plate, singling for the first time in the third against Paul Campbell (W, 8-4). Campbell managed a 6-3 double play to escape the frame, and proceeded to toss six scoreless innings behind Opener Matt Krook.
Josh Lowe added to the lead with a solo homer off Francis to begin the seventh, his 16th of the season, to capture a 3-0 advantage. Montgomery's final run came in the eighth when Taylor Walls walked against Tyler Spurlin, advanced to second on a groundout and then broke for third. Max McDowell sailed a throw into left field, allowing Walls for score on the error.
Ivan Pelaez (S, 2) worked the back end of the game for the Biscuits, firing two scoreless innings to lock up the save. The shutout loss marks the 12th shutout defeat of the season for Biloxi and their sixth loss to the Biscuits.
The Shuckers continue their series with the Biscuits on Monday with first pitch at 6:35 pm. RHP Dylan File (8-1, 2.40) is scheduled to take the mound for Biloxi while Montgomery's starter is TBA. The game can be heard locally in Biloxi on Cruisin' WGCM AM 1240/100.9 FM, TuneIn Radio or the MiLB First Pitch App and can be seen on MiLB.TV. Fans can save $10 off their subscription when they use the promo code 'Shuckers' at checkout.
Flex Plans and Group Outings for the 2019 Biloxi Shuckers season are on sale and are available for purchase by calling 228-233-3465, online at biloxishuckers.com or by visiting the MGM Park front office. With the 2020 Southern League schedule announced, Shuck Nation Memberships for the 2020 season are also available by visiting the Biloxi Shuckers front office. The Biloxi Shuckers will host Game 1 and Game 2 of the South Division Championship Series on September 4 & 5 at MGM Park. Tickets for all six potential playoff games at MGM Park are on sale now.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from August 18, 2019
- Short Staff Does the Job in 4-3 Victory - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Generals Sneak by Smokies in Opener, 3-2 - Jackson Generals
- Smokies Edged in Series Opener at Jackson - Tennessee Smokies
- Too Much Lookouts Power for Mobile - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Nolan Guides Barons Past Shrimp in Opener - Birmingham Barons
- M-Braves Drop Series Opener to Wahoos - Mississippi Braves
- Barons Top Shrimp 6-2 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Shuckers Blanked by Biscuits in Series Opener - Biloxi Shuckers
- Biscuits Blank Shuckers, 4-0 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Generals Gameday: August 18 vs. Tennessee - Jackson Generals
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp: Game Notes, August 18 at Birmingham - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Homestand Highlights: August 18-22 vs. Pensacola Blue Wahoos - Mississippi Braves
- Blue Wahoos Staff Stifles Lookouts - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.