Biscuits Blank Shuckers, 4-0
MONTGOMERY, Ala. - The Biscuits (81-45) blanked the Biloxi Shuckers (76-49), 4-0, in their series opener on Sunday night, and equaled the 2007 Biscuits squad for the most wins in team history.
Matt Krook opened for the 17th time this season for the Biscuits, and despite throwing 23 pitches and walking two batters in the first inning, the lefty still kept the Shuckers off the board before handing the reins to the bulk guy, Paul Campbell (8-4). The Biscuits are now 14-3 when Krook has opened in 2019.
Bowden Francis (6-8) was starting on the other side for Biloxi, and after the right-hander cruised through a 1-2-3 first inning, he ran into trouble in the second, serving up a lead-off double to Tristan Gray. Miles Mastrobuoni then moved Gray to third on a groundout to second before Josh Lowe drilled an RBI-double into the right-center field alley to put the Biscuits in front early, 1-0.
In the third, the Biscuits doubled their lead to 2-0 thanks to a Taylor Walls RBI-single after a lead-off double by Grant Kay and a walk to Lucius Fox. Campbell was outstanding, hurling six scoreless innings of relief, surrendering just three singles, no walks, and striking out six, before handing things over to Ivan Pelaez.
Lowe crushed his 16th home run of the season to left-center field off Francis in the seventh and gave the Biscuits a bit more breathing room at 3-0. Lowe and Gray are now tied for the team lead in round-trippers. After walking in the eighth, Walls eventually stole third and a wild throw by Shuckers catcher Max McDowell brought the third baseman home and made it a 4-0 contest.
Pelaez worked a scoreless eighth and ninth and secured the shutout with a Jake Gatewood flyout to center. The shutout was the Biscuits 19
thof 2019, tied for the most in all of professional baseball with the A- Quad Cities River Bandits of the Houston Astros organization.
The Biscuits will try to make history on Monday when the bullpen takes on Dylan File (8-1) at 6:35 PM CT.
The rest of the home stand will include a Military Card Set Giveaway presented by Golden Corral on Wednesday, August 21 and Wrestling Night featuring a T-Shirt Giveaway on Thursday, August 22.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from August 18, 2019
- Short Staff Does the Job in 4-3 Victory - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Generals Sneak by Smokies in Opener, 3-2 - Jackson Generals
- Smokies Edged in Series Opener at Jackson - Tennessee Smokies
- Too Much Lookouts Power for Mobile - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Nolan Guides Barons Past Shrimp in Opener - Birmingham Barons
- M-Braves Drop Series Opener to Wahoos - Mississippi Braves
- Barons Top Shrimp 6-2 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Shuckers Blanked by Biscuits in Series Opener - Biloxi Shuckers
- Biscuits Blank Shuckers, 4-0 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Generals Gameday: August 18 vs. Tennessee - Jackson Generals
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp: Game Notes, August 18 at Birmingham - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Homestand Highlights: August 18-22 vs. Pensacola Blue Wahoos - Mississippi Braves
- Blue Wahoos Staff Stifles Lookouts - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Montgomery Biscuits Stories
- Beat the Heat, Hang out in the Club Car Bar
- Biscuits 2020 Season Cancelled
- Biscuits Charitable Foundation and Bama-Q TV to Stream Community Fundraiser
- Biscuits Serve Special Blend of Promotions in the Year of Chicken
- Biscuits DiBella to be Inducted into International Boxing Hall of Fame