Lynn Williams Scores Game-Winning Goal in NC Courage Win over Reign FC
Cary, NC - Lynn Williams netted the only goal in the NC Courage's 1-0 win over Reign FC to earn the NC Courage an important three points at home. Williams received an assist from Crystal Dunn in the 82nd minute to score in front of the largest NC Courage crowd this season.
"Overall the quality of the entire team was very good tonight," said NC Courage head coach Paul Riley. "We defended really well."
The Courage came out with a strong offensive push, firing 11 shots in the first 35 minutes of the match. The team took advantage of their corner kicks during that time, creating four close chances after Abby Dahlkemper and Merritt Mathias sent arching balls into the box.
In the 40th minute, Kristen Hamilton earned a free kick right outside of the box, setting up the Courage for a chance on goal. After some trickery, Debinha fired off a shot that Reign FC goalkeeper, Casey Murphy, barely got a fingertip on to make the save. The ball then hit off of the crossbar, but the Courage were unable to finish it.
Less than two minutes later, Debinha fired off another shot from long range that Murphy barely got enough on to make the save. Despite 18 shots in the first half, the Courage entered halftime tied 0-0 with Reign FC.
The NC Courage dominated possession from the beginning of the second half, keeping pressure on the defense of Reign FC. Murphy continued to make big saves to keep the score even.
In the 80th minute, Jessica McDonald started a play that would result in the game-winning goal. McDonald slipped a ball through to Dunn who streaked to the end line before centering the ball to Williams. Williams easily finished on a textbook play.
The goal was Williams' seventh of the season while the assist was Dunn's second of the season. With the win, the NC Courage remain undefeated at Sahlen's Stadium at WakeMed Soccer Park during the 2019 NWSL season.
Up Next: The North Carolina Courage travel to Sky Blue FC on Saturday, September 7 at 3:00 p.m. ET.
The North Carolina Courage played their first NWSL home game with their four World Cup Champions (Abby Dahlkemper, Crystal Dunn, Jessica McDonald, Samantha Mewis) since returning from the FIFA Women's World Cup.
The NC Courage move into second place in the NWSL with the win.
Lynn Williams scored her seventh goal of the season and her sixth overall goal against Reign FC. Williams also has five assists on the season.
Crystal Dunn assisted the night's lone goal. The assist was Dunn's second of the season.
NCC (4-4-2): Stephanie Labbe'; Jaelene Hinkle, Abby Erceg ©, Abby Dahlkemper, Merritt Mathias (Heather O'Reilly, 74'); Debinha (McCall Zerboni, 85'), Denise O'Sullivan, Samantha Mewis, Crystal Dunn; Lynn Williams, Kristen Hamilton (Jessica McDonald, 60')
Subs not used: Katelyn Rowland, Julia Spetsmark, Cari Roccaro, Meredith Speck
SEA (4-4-2): Casey Murphy; Steph Catley, Lauren Barnes ©, Megan Oyster, Theresa Nielsen; Celia Jimenez Delgado, Allie Long, Beverly Yanez, Rosie White (Rebecca Quinn, 80'); Bethany Balcer (Ifeoma Onumonu, 85'), Jodie Taylor (Darian Jenkins, 63')
Subs not used: Schuylar DeBree, Morgan Andrews, Morgan Proffitt, Sammy Jo Prudhomme
NCC: Lynn Williams (Crystal Dunn, 82')
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from August 24, 2019
- Carli Lloyd Lifts Sky Blue FC over the Houston Dash in a 2-1 Win - Sky Blue FC
- Dash Fall to Sky Blue FC 2-1 at BBVA Stadium - Houston Dash
- Orlando Pride Edged 2-1 by Washington Spirit in Front of Record Crowd - Orlando Pride
- Spirit Beat Orlando for Historic Win at Packed Audi Field - Washington Spirit
- Reign FC Take Narrow Loss at NC Courage - Reign FC
- Lynn Williams Scores Game-Winning Goal in NC Courage Win over Reign FC - North Carolina Courage
- Storylines | Pride vs. Washington Spirit - Orlando Pride
- Three Points: the Dash Take on Sky Blue FC for Third and Final Time to Close Season Series - Houston Dash
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent North Carolina Courage Stories
- NC Courage Break NWSL Regular-Season Goal Record Behind Goals from McDonald in Win against Sky Blue FC
- Denise O'sullivan Highlights NC Courage Team Awards with Second Consecutive MVP Win
- NC Courage to Close out Regular Season and Receive NWSL Shield on Saturday
- Parking Information for Saturday's NC Courage - Sky Blue FC Match
- NC Courage to Receive Third Consecutive NWSL Shield on Saturday, October 12