Lumberjacks Overcome 3-1 Deficit, But Fall to Youngstown in OT
MUSKEGON, MI - The Muskegon Lumberjacks overcame a 3-1 deficit to force overtime, but fell in the extra period to Youngstown by a final score of 4-3.
Muskegon started the scoring early, getting a power-play goal from Davis Pennington just 1:01 into the game. However, the lead would quickly evaporate thanks to three consecutive Youngstown goals scored in less than seven minutes.
With Muskegon trailing 3-1 less than ten minutes into the game, Cameron Berg forced a turnover in the offensive zone and found Tanner Kelly in the slot. Kelly buried the wrister to get Muskegon back within one with 10:26 to play in the first.
In the second, Muskegon lost forward Adam Flammang to a game misconduct call for head contact, but Muskegon was able to kill the resulting major penalty and keep the score 3-2 through two periods.
In the third, goaltenders Jan Skorpik (Muskegon) and Mattias Sholl (Youngstown) continued to stop everything thrown their way, making 16 saves in total. However, with 5:01 remaining in regulation, John Farinacci tallied his first goal of the preseason, knotting the game at three and eventually forcing overtime.
In the extra period, Youngstown's Georgii Merkulov won the opening faceoff to former Lumberjack David Gucciardi, who carried the puck in and beat Skorpik up top, winning the game for Youngstown just eight seconds into overtime.
Muskegon will wrap up their preseason schedule next weekend when they play a home-and-home against Chicago. Friday's puck drop in Muskegon is slated for 7:05pm and will be broadcast on the Lumberjacks Broadcast Network.
Muskegon goals: Pennington (2), Kelly (1), Farinacci (1)
Muskegon assists: Cristophe Tellier (1), Tyler Procious (2), Berg (2,3)
Images from this story
Muskegon Lumberjacks in action
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from October 24, 2020
- Stars Remain Snakebitten, Shut out 4-0 by Tri-City - Lincoln Stars
- Stars Fail to Snap the Skid against Omaha - Lincoln Stars
- Des Moines Squeaks by Dubuque 3-2 - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Force Edged in OT - Fargo Force
- Chicago Steel Open Preaseason with Win - Chicago Steel
- Lumberjacks Overcome 3-1 Deficit, But Fall to Youngstown in OT - Muskegon Lumberjacks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Muskegon Lumberjacks Stories
- Larson, Strinden Score a Pair, Lumberjacks Hold on to Split Series with Madison
- Capitols Snap Four-Game Winning Streak, Jacks Drop 7-3 Decision to Madison
- Zadorozhnyy Shuts out Team USA U17 5-0, Lumberjacks Win 4 in a Row
- Lumberjacks to Face off with Team USA U17 and Madison During Thanksgiving Week
- Jake Braccini Named USHL Forward of the Week