Luebke Shines as Beavers Top Aces
Cory Luebke pitched seven strong innings, retiring the final 15 batters he faced as the Portland Beavers scored on a bases-loaded hit-by-pitch in the bottom of the eighth inning to beat the Reno Aces 2-1 Tuesday night at PGE Park.
With the bases loaded and two outs, Leyson Septimo (0-1) hit Craig Stansberry with a pitch to drive in Wily Mo Pena from third to give the Beavers (37-59) a 2-1 lead in the eighth. Pena, who joined the Beavers Tuesday after being signed by the San Diego Padres, tallied two hits in his first game with the team.
Luebke allowed only one run on three hits while earning a no-decision in his second-straight seven-inning outing.
Luis Perdomo (3-2) struck out one batter in a perfect eighth inning to earn the win. Adam Russell then struck out three batters in the ninth to record his fourth save of the season.
Doug Deeds finished with a double and scored the Aces' (39-58) only run as Reno was held to just four hits.
After beginning the game with consecutive hits, the Aces jumped out to an early lead on a throwing error by catcher Dusty Ryan to take a 1-0 lead in the first inning. Beavers right fielder Craig Cooper thwarted a potential first-inning rally by Reno with a catch and throw to third base for a double play.
Josh Barfield singled to center field to drive in Kyle Phillips from second base, evening the game at 1-1 in the fourth inning.
The Beavers and Aces meet again Wednesday at 7:05 p.m. in the third of their four-game set at PGE Park.
NOTES: Phillips extended his hitting streak to seven games with a 2-for-3 night at the plate ... Sean Kazmar's 12-game hitting streak was snapped.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 20, 2010
- Luebke Shines as Beavers Top Aces - Portland Beavers
- Round Rock Express Out-Slug New Orleans 11-9 - Round Rock Express
- Express Beat Z's 11-9 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Lynn Punches out Royals - Memphis Redbirds
- Isotopes Defeat Sounds, 9-7 - Nashville Sounds
- I-Cubs Sweep Doubleheader - Iowa Cubs
- Former Major League Outfielder Wily Mo Pena Joins Beavers - Portland Beavers
- Angels Option Aldridge to Salt Lake, Conger Placed on DL - Salt Lake Bees
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Homestand Concludes with Kid-A-Palooza, Tweetup - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aces Open Series With 9-6 Win Over Portland - Reno Aces
- Portland Drops Third Straight Game Despite Homers By Cooper, Kazmar - Portland Beavers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss