Long Pitches Early Gem in Slammers 3-0 Loss
JOLIET, IL - In a low-scoring affair on Wednesday night, the Joliet Slammers were unable to take advantage of a quality start from Keegan Long, dropping to 5-13 on the season in a shutout loss to the Windy City Thunderbolts.
Long moved through the Thunderbolts order quickly through the first three innings, only allowing two baserunners and earning two strikeouts. Thunderbolts starter Tyler Thornton would match him however, and the first three innings went by without a score.
The Thunderbolts broke things open in the top of the 4th. Following a single from Dash Winningham that put Tyler Alamo on third, Randy Perez would drive Alamo home on a sacrifice fly to left field. Thornton would go on to strike out the Slammers' side of the inning, holding the Thunderbolts' 1-0 lead.
The Thunderbolts would not wait long to add their second run, with Winningham driving in David Oppenheim from third on an RBI single in the top of the 5th. Despite a double from Luis Touron in their side of the inning, the Slammers would fail to respond, ending the inning 2-0 in favor of the Thunderbolts.
A scoring drought from both sides held until the top of the 9th. Following a triple from Bryan Martinez off Slammers' reliever Wes Albert, Oppenheim would bring him home on a double to deep right-center. The Thunderbolts brought in relief pitcher Dylan Prohoroff in the bottom of the 9th, and he sat the Slammers down in order to earn the save and a 3-0 Thunderbolts win.
Today's Merchants and Manufacturers Bank Player of the Game is Keegan Long (7.0 IP, 3 SO, and 1 ER).
The Slammers are on the road next, starting a two-game series at the Lake Erie Crushers on Friday, May 31st.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from May 29, 2019
- Wild Things Control Middle Game from "Go" - Washington Wild Things
- Long Pitches Early Gem in Slammers 3-0 Loss - Joliet Slammers
- Thornton's Gem Helps ThunderBolts Earn Series Split - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Miners Drop Rain-Shortened Contest to Rascals - Southern Illinois Miners
- Rascals Win Rain-Shortened Middle Game - River City Rascals
- Boomers Split Double Shutouts - Schaumburg Boomers
- Crushers Split Twin-Bill with Schaumburg - Lake Erie Crushers
- Freedom and Grizzlies Washed out on Wednesday - Florence Freedom
- Lane Latest Otter to Head to Mets Organization - Evansville Otters
- Freedom Stun Grizzlies in Extra Inning Opener - Florence Freedom
- Grizzlies Lose Lead in Ninth, Game in Eleventh - Gateway Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Joliet Slammers Stories
- Slammers Back Home After All-Star Break
- Slammerpalooza Is Coming on August 14
- Slammers to Host Annual Guns-N-Hoses Charity Softball Game Along Side Superhero Night
- Slammers Walk-Off Second Game in a Row, Beat ThunderBolts 3-2
- Slammers Win in Walk-Off Thriller, 5-4