Long Island Drops Second Straight to Greensboro
LONG ISLAND - The Long Island Nets (1-2), the NBA G League affiliate of the Brooklyn Nets, were defeated by the Greensboro Swarm (2-0) 111-103 on Sunday afternoon at Nassau Coliseum.
Nets guard Josh Gray led Long Island with 24 points, eight rebounds and four assists in 37 minutes. Long Island forward Craig Randall II posted 22 points, four rebounds and six assists in 41 minutes. Guard Marcus Zegarowski also added 14 points, four rebounds and four assists in 38 minutes as six Nets scored in double figures in the effort.
Greensboro got off to a quick start as the team went on a 9-0 run in the first five minutes of the first quarter. The Nets responded shortly after, shooting point-for-point with the Swarm. Greensboro took the lead back to end the first 12 minutes of action, 28-25. Long Island continued the back-and-forth play with the Swarm into the second quarter. Greensboro's defense refused to go down easy, outrebounding the Nets by three, 12-9. Despite Long Island's strong second quarter effort, the Swarm went into the half leading by four, 56-52.
Long Island came into the second half determined to battle its way back after trailing Greensboro for two straight quarters. The Swarm continued to hold its lead until a late 3-pointer by Nets forward Justin Jackson tied the match 80-80 heading into the final quarter of play. Long Island tried to hold on in the fourth quarter, but a late rally by Greensboro's offense led the team to outscore the Nets 31-23 in the final quarter. The Swarm slipped past the Nets to win the afternoon matchup by eight, 111-103.
Swarm forward Arnoldas Kulboka led Greensboro with 24 points, 10 rebounds and one assist in 36 minutes. Greensboro forward Xavier Sneed tallied 21 points, eight rebounds and three assists in 37 minutes.
Long Island will play its second game in a back-to-back set on the road against Raptors 905 on Monday, Jan. 10, at 7:30 p.m. ET, while Greensboro will return home to face the College Park Skyhawks on Friday, Jan. 14, at 7 p.m. ET.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 9, 2022
- Windy City Bulls Storm Past Blue Coats - Windy City Bulls
- Oklahoma City Blue Use Strong Second Half to Defeat Stockton Kings - Stockton Kings
- Nesmith Powers Maine Celtics to Victory - Maine Celtics
- Pelicans Sign Gary Clark to Two-Way Contract, Squadron Acquire Darius Adams - Birmingham Squadron
- Cavaliers Convert Brandon Goodwin to Two-Way Contract - Cleveland Charge
- Long Island Drops Second Straight to Greensboro - Greensboro Swarm
- Long Island Drops Second Straight to Greensboro - Long Island Nets
- Skyforce Withstand Stars Rally for Road Win - Salt Lake City Stars
- Vipers Strike Short-Handed Legends - Texas Legends
- Iowa Wolves Mount Second-Half Comeback to Defeat Birmingham Squadron - Birmingham Squadron
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.