Locke, Bogusevic Homers Help Express Beat Beavers
Drew Locke and Brian Bogusevic hit back-to-back home runs in the first inning and Shane Loux earned his fourth win as the Round Rock Express defeated the Portland Beavers for the third straight night 6-2 before 7,992 fans at PGE Park Thursday night.
Locke and Bogusevic homered off Cesar Carrillo (4-13) as part of a four-run first inning that gave Loux (4-11) a comfortable lead.
J.B. Shuck added two hits and two runs for the Express (53-73), who have won eight straight against Portland (48-78), dating back to 2008.
Loux took a shutout into the seventh, finishing with two runs on eight hits and a walk in 6 2/3 innings.
Mike Baxter had two hits, including a double, and Luis Durango had an RBI double as the Beavers matched a season high by falling 30 games below .500.
Carrillo suffered his league-leading 13th loss, yielding six runs on seven hits and two walks in five innings.
Round Rock jumped out to an early lead as Locke hit a two-run shot and Bogusevic followed with a solo home run off Carrillo in the first. Collin DeLome added an RBI triple later in the frame to give the Express a 4-0 advantage.
Carrillo settled down, holding Round Rock at bay until the fifth, when Bogusevic drilled an RBI single to left and Matt Kata plated a sixth run with a sacrifice fly.
The Beavers loaded the bases in the seventh with no outs but settled for two runs when Dusty Ryan grounded into a double play and Durango hit an RBI double over the left fielder DeLome's head.
Portland threatened again in the ninth, putting three men on with one out, but Gary Majewski struck out Sean Kazmar and Baxter to preserve the win.
The Beavers and Express finish their series Friday at 7:05 p.m. (Pacific).
NOTES: The Beavers start a 13-game road trip to Las Vegas, Tacoma and Reno on Saturday before returning to PGE Park on Friday, Sept. 3, for their final home series, Sept. 3-6 ... before the game, reliever Ryan Webb was recalled from Portland by the San Diego Padres ... reliever Daniel Ottone made his Triple-A debut for the Beavers with two scoreless frames, including a sixth inning that saw him escape a bases loaded, no out jam ... Portland reliever Mike DeMark extended his hitless streak to eight innings with a scoreless eighth inning ... Baxter has 14 multi-hit efforts in his last 27 games ... Baxter's double gave him 10 extra-base hits in his last nine games, including at least one in eight of those contests ... Carrillo has not won since May 18, a span of 17 starts ... Carrillo is one loss away from tying Jack Cassel's single-season record of 14, set in 2007.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 19, 2010
- Locke, Bogusevic Homers Help Express Beat Beavers - Portland Beavers
- Luis Cruz Hits Walk-Off Home Run in Sounds 8-7 Nightcap Win - Nashville Sounds
- 51s Down Z's 6-5 in 10 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- 'Birds Fly by Bees in Ninth - Memphis Redbirds
- Reno Flies Past RedHawks, 5-3 - Reno Aces
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Meyer Placed on Disabled List, Auer and Campos Join Salt Lake - Salt Lake Bees
- 51s Host Final Homestand of 2010 Season - Las Vegas Aviators
- Aces Welcome Tacoma for Four-Game Homestand - Reno Aces
- Toronto's J.P. Arencibia Optioned to Triple-A Las Vegas - Las Vegas Aviators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss