Lights FC Set to Face USL Competition in Orange County in Preseason Finale
The final tune-up for the 2018 USL regular season could be the most telling test Las Vegas Lights FC takes this preseason.
Following a trio of Soccer Spring Training exhibitions against Major League Soccer competition and last week's scrimmage with the UNLV men's soccer team, Lights FC hits the road to face Orange County Soccer Club - a USL Western Conference foe - Friday at 11 a.m. at Champions Soccer Stadium in Irvine, Calif.
Lights FC vs. Orange County SC will not be televised or streamed online. However, stay tuned with Lights FC on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook for live updates, sights & sounds from the club's final preseason match of 2018.
For fans in the area who want to attend, the match will feature free admission to the public.
"Obviously, you want that winning feeling," said Lights FC midfielder Carlos Alvarez, who scored two goals in 19 appearances last season with Orange County. "We had it against UNLV, and you want to keep it coming. You feel like you did something right. Everything you learn during camp, it's paying off. For a soccer team and a soccer player, that's what it's all about. We want to go over there, keep winning and make it a habit."
On the heels of a Soccer Spring Training schedule that had its highs and lows, Lights FC was able to translate some lessons learned into a victory in a closed scrimmage on the UNLV campus last week. Now, for the first time, the team gets to see where it stands against competition within its own league ahead of next Saturday's regular season opener at Fresno FC.
"This game is the most real test for the regular season," Lights FC midfielder Daigo Kobayashi added. "We have no idea (how we measure up) now. We've only played against MLS teams and a college team, so this game is very important. If we just play our style, fight and play 100%, it will help us no matter what."
Added Lights FC head coach Chelís: "The reality for my team is now. All the players know."
Orange County SC finished 11-11-10 in 2017, finishing just 3 points outside of the USL Western Conference playoff picture. For the third season, their outfit will be headlined by midfielder Richard Chaplow - an English Premier League veteran who has made 28 appearances for Orange County SC over the past two season.
Lights FC and Orange County SC will clash twice in the USL regular season - Saturday, August 15th in Southern California, then Wednesday, September 26th in Las Vegas.
LIGHTS FC TICKET INFO
Single-match tickets for all USL regular season matches, starting March 24 at Cashman Field vs. in-state rival Reno 1868 FC, are now on sale, starting at just $15. Purchase today by visiting LightsFC.com/SingleTix or by calling 702.728.GOAL (4625) during regular business hours. Tickets are also available for purchase at all La Bonita Supermarket locations in the Las Vegas valley.
Lights FC 2018 season tickets are also still on sale, starting at just $170 for the remaining 17 home-match schedule. Each season ticket purchased includes a free team jersey (valued at $80). Tickets for groups of 10 or more are also now on sale, starting at just $18 per ticket, with each ticket purchased including a free Lights FC scarf (valued at $20). For more ticketing inquiries, visit LightsFC.com/Tickets.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League message board...
United Soccer League Stories from March 8, 2018
- Fresno FC Announces Community Medical Centers as Back-Of-Jersey Sponsor - Fresno FC
- Lights FC Set to Face USL Competition in Orange County in Preseason Finale - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Orange County SC Signs 2017 USL Fans' Choice Goal of the Year Winner Nansel Selbol - Orange County SC
- Steve Livingstone Steps Down as COO at Louisville City FC - Louisville City FC
- Roughnecks to Host Live Pop & Vaud Show and Kit Reveal Event - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- San Antonio FC Match at Fresno FC to be Played on April 22 - San Antonio FC
- Lights FC Q&A with ... Midfielder Daigo Kobayashi - Las Vegas Lights FC
- T2 Acquire Forward Darixon Vuelto - Portland Timbers 2
- Colorado Contingent Loaned to Independence - Charlotte Independence
- Switchbacks Get 3-0 Pre-Season Victory over Harpo's FC - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Fall to Reno 1868 FC in Second Match of California Preseason Trip - Real Monarchs SLC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Las Vegas Lights FC Stories
- Lights FC Offense Explodes Once Again at Home in Inspired 4-1 Victory over Seattle Sounders 2
- Lights FC Aims to Claim Its Second Straight Home Victory
- "Hops for Pops" Highlights Special Father's Day Promotions Saturday Night as Lights FC Returns to Cashman Field
- Beginning Tonight, Lights FC Shifts Open-To-The-Public Practices to Evenings at Kellogg-Zaher Soccer Complex
- Lights FC Can't Find the Magic in 4-0 Loss to Phoenix Rising FC