Lightning Sign Former Second-Round Pick Richard Panik
TAMPA BAY, Fla. - The Tampa Bay Lightning, NHL parent club of the Norfolk Admirals, have signed right wing Richard Panik to a three-year, entry-level contract, Lightning Vice President and General Manager Steve Yzerman announced.
Panik, 6-foot-1, 218 pounds, played in 51 games between the Guelph Storm and Belleville Bulls of the Ontario Hockey League this season. He amassed 27 goals and 56 points. Panik was traded from Belleville to Guelph on December 2. He also added seven power play goals and one shorthanded goal. Panik also made his OHL playoffs debut, notching a goal and three points in six games for the Storm.
A native of Martin, Slovakia, Panik has played in 111 career OHL regular season games with Guelph, Belleville and the Windsor Spitfires. During that time he recorded 48 goals and 97 points.
Panik has also excelled in international competition, representing his native Slovakia. He participated in last summer's World Championships in Germany and recorded two assists in six games. Panik also skated in the 2009 World Junior Championships in Ottawa, recording two goals and five points in seven games, placing him third on the team for points and tied for third in goals.
Panik appeared in the first five games of his professional career with the Admirals at the end of the 2009-10 season, recording one assist while playing on an Amateur Tryout Contract. He was selected by the Lightning in second round, 52nd overall, of the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.
Don't miss a minute of Admirals action by purchasing your 2011-12 season tickets today. Stop by the Admirals' Administrative Offices at Scope, call (757) 640-1212 weekdays from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or visit norfolkadmirals.com anytime!
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from May 13, 2011
- Bulldogs Drop First Game Of The Series 2-1 To Aeros - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Aeros edge Hamilton Bulldogs 2-1 - Houston Aeros
- B-Sens Shutdown Checkers 3-0 In Game 2 - Binghamton Senators
- Checkers Blanked By Sens In Game 2 - Charlotte Checkers
- Eight Former Amerks to Compete in 2011 Stanley Cup Conference Finals - Rochester Americans
- Four Former Rivermen Still Chasing Calder Cup - Peoria Rivermen
- Canucks Recall Chris Tanev, Eddie Lack, Sergei Shirokov, Aaron Volpatti and Alex Bolduc - Manitoba Moose
- Sixteen Former Admirals Competing in Conference Finals of NHL's Stanley Cup Playoffs - Norfolk Admirals
- See IceHogs Zamboni at YMCA Saturday - Rockford IceHogs
- AHL Morning Skate - AHL
- Hurricanes to Play Exhibition Game in Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Lightning Sign Former Second-Round Pick Richard Panik - Norfolk Admirals
- Amerks and Knighthawks' 'Week of Caring' Concludes Today - Rochester Americans
- Admirals to Hold Equipment Sale Saturday, May 28 - Norfolk Admirals
- Preview: Aeros-Bulldogs, Game 1 - Houston Aeros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.