Aeros edge Hamilton Bulldogs 2-1
HOUSTON --- Matt Hackett made 38 saves and Jed Ortmeyer scored the deciding goal as the Houston Aeros edged the Hamilton Bulldogs 2-1 on Friday night in Game 1 of the American Hockey League's Western Conference Finals.
The Aeros took a 1-0 lead in the best-of-seven series, which resumes Sunday at Toyota Center at 4:05 p.m.
Chad Rau gave Houston a 1-0 lead with a one-timer from the slot at 14:52 of the first period. Casey Wellman earned the primary helper by digging the puck out of the right corner and dishing it to Rau, who fired it past Bulldogs goaltender Drew MacIntyre for his fourth postseason goal. Maxim Noreau also assisted on the power play tally.
The Aeros took a 2-0 advantage just 2:52 into the second period on Ortmeyer's breakaway goal. Jared Spurgeon earned the primary assist by splitting the Hamilton defense and needling the puck to Ortmeyer from the Houston defensive zone.
The Bulldogs pressed and finally broke through with 51 seconds remaining in regulation. With each team skating 4-on-4, Hamilton pulled goaltender Drew MacIntyre for an extra attacker. Frederic St. Denis took the initial shot from the center point, which trickled behind Hackett. Mathieu Carle was on the doorstep and swept the rebound home.
Hackett made 38 saves in the win and turned aside 20 of 21 shots he faced in the third period including a last second stop on Andreas Engqvist to preserve the win.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from May 13, 2011
- Bulldogs Drop First Game Of The Series 2-1 To Aeros - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Aeros edge Hamilton Bulldogs 2-1 - Houston Aeros
- B-Sens Shutdown Checkers 3-0 In Game 2 - Binghamton Senators
- Checkers Blanked By Sens In Game 2 - Charlotte Checkers
- Eight Former Amerks to Compete in 2011 Stanley Cup Conference Finals - Rochester Americans
- Four Former Rivermen Still Chasing Calder Cup - Peoria Rivermen
- Canucks Recall Chris Tanev, Eddie Lack, Sergei Shirokov, Aaron Volpatti and Alex Bolduc - Manitoba Moose
- Sixteen Former Admirals Competing in Conference Finals of NHL's Stanley Cup Playoffs - Norfolk Admirals
- See IceHogs Zamboni at YMCA Saturday - Rockford IceHogs
- AHL Morning Skate - AHL
- Hurricanes to Play Exhibition Game in Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Lightning Sign Former Second-Round Pick Richard Panik - Norfolk Admirals
- Amerks and Knighthawks' 'Week of Caring' Concludes Today - Rochester Americans
- Admirals to Hold Equipment Sale Saturday, May 28 - Norfolk Admirals
- Preview: Aeros-Bulldogs, Game 1 - Houston Aeros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.