Bulldogs Drop First Game Of The Series 2-1 To Aeros
Houston, TX - The Hamilton Bulldogs were defeated 2-1 by the Houston Aeros on Friday night. The Dogs outshot the Aeros 39-28 but Houston goaltender Matt Hackett stopped all but one of the shots he faced to earn the win for the Aeros.
Houston opened the game's scoring at 14:52 of the first frame while on the power play. Casey Wellman collected the puck after it took an odd bounce off the glass behind the Bulldogs' net. Wellman dished the puck to Chad Rau, who one-timed a shot past Hamilton starting goaltender Drew MacIntyre and into the net.
The Aeros took a 2-0 lead at 2:59 of the second stanza. Jared Spurgeon fed the puck up the middle of the ice to Jed Ortmeyer, to spring him on a breakaway. Ortmeyer skated in all alone on MacIntyre before snapping a shot that beat the goaltender over the glove.
The Bulldogs got on the scoreboard at 19:09 of the final frame. Frederic St. Denis blasted a shot towards the net that was tipped by J.T. Wyman. Houston starting goaltender Matt Hackett made the save but the rebound bounced out to the left side of the goaltender. Mathieu Carle whacked the puck up and over the pad of Hackett and into the net.
Highlights of tonight's game can be found on www.sendtonews.com
The Dogs will battle the Aeros in Game 2 of the Western Conference Finals in Houston on Sunday, May 15th at 5:05 p.m. All Hamilton Bulldogs playoff broadcasts on AM 820 CHAM will begin with a pre-game show 30 minutes prior to the scheduled start time. All remaining Bulldogs playoff games can also be heard live on The Team 990 in Montreal.
Tickets for all Hamilton Bulldogs playoff third round home games will be available for $21.50. They can be purchased at the Copps Coliseum Box Office, any Ticketmaster Outlet, online at www.ticketmaster.com or through charge-by-phone at 1-855-872-5000.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from May 13, 2011
- Bulldogs Drop First Game Of The Series 2-1 To Aeros - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Aeros edge Hamilton Bulldogs 2-1 - Houston Aeros
- B-Sens Shutdown Checkers 3-0 In Game 2 - Binghamton Senators
- Checkers Blanked By Sens In Game 2 - Charlotte Checkers
- Eight Former Amerks to Compete in 2011 Stanley Cup Conference Finals - Rochester Americans
- Four Former Rivermen Still Chasing Calder Cup - Peoria Rivermen
- Canucks Recall Chris Tanev, Eddie Lack, Sergei Shirokov, Aaron Volpatti and Alex Bolduc - Manitoba Moose
- Sixteen Former Admirals Competing in Conference Finals of NHL's Stanley Cup Playoffs - Norfolk Admirals
- See IceHogs Zamboni at YMCA Saturday - Rockford IceHogs
- AHL Morning Skate - AHL
- Hurricanes to Play Exhibition Game in Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Lightning Sign Former Second-Round Pick Richard Panik - Norfolk Admirals
- Amerks and Knighthawks' 'Week of Caring' Concludes Today - Rochester Americans
- Admirals to Hold Equipment Sale Saturday, May 28 - Norfolk Admirals
- Preview: Aeros-Bulldogs, Game 1 - Houston Aeros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.