Checkers Blanked By Sens In Game 2
CHARLOTTE, N.C.-Robin Lehner stopped all 33 shots he faced as the Charlotte Checkers were shutout by the Binghamton Senators, 3-0, on Friday evening.
With the loss, the Checkers are now down 0-2 in the best-of-seven series. Game 3 from Binghamton will be on Tuesday at 7:05 p.m.
Ryan Potulny recorded a pair of goals for the Senators while Bobby Butler netted Binghamton's third tally. Senators captain Ryan Keller had an assist of each of Potulny's markers.
Mike Murphy had a solid night between the pipes for Charlotte, making 28 saves.
With 43.3 seconds remaining in the first period, Binghamton broke the scoreless tie on a goal by playoff-scoring leader Potulny. Keller cut across the slot and slipped a pass across to the right-wing circle, where Potulny drove it home.
Just 29 seconds into the second period, the Keller-Potulny connection struck again to give the Senators a 2-0 lead. Keller drove down the right-wing boards and saucered a pass to Potulny, who redirected it past Murphy.
At 15:53 of the second period, Brett Sutter looked to have drawn the Checkers to within one. However, the goal was waved off because of a delayed interference call on Sutter in front.
Charlotte had a prime chance to get on the board when Sutter left the penalty box. The Alberta-native received a pass on a 3-on-2 and wristed a shot that Lehner somehow got a blocker on.
Bobby Butler added another goal for Binghamton to give them a 3-0 lead with seven minutes remaining in regulation.
Charlotte pulled Murphy with three minutes remaining in a desperate attempt to generate offense, but Lehner stood tall and sealed the 3-0 Binghamton victory.
The Checkers (0-2) head to Binghamton for Games 3, 4 and 5 (if necessary) on Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday. All games are scheduled for a 7:05 p.m. start time and are available to watch/listen on Time Warner Cable digital channel 520 or www.AHLLive.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from May 13, 2011
- Bulldogs Drop First Game Of The Series 2-1 To Aeros - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Aeros edge Hamilton Bulldogs 2-1 - Houston Aeros
- B-Sens Shutdown Checkers 3-0 In Game 2 - Binghamton Senators
- Checkers Blanked By Sens In Game 2 - Charlotte Checkers
- Eight Former Amerks to Compete in 2011 Stanley Cup Conference Finals - Rochester Americans
- Four Former Rivermen Still Chasing Calder Cup - Peoria Rivermen
- Canucks Recall Chris Tanev, Eddie Lack, Sergei Shirokov, Aaron Volpatti and Alex Bolduc - Manitoba Moose
- Sixteen Former Admirals Competing in Conference Finals of NHL's Stanley Cup Playoffs - Norfolk Admirals
- See IceHogs Zamboni at YMCA Saturday - Rockford IceHogs
- AHL Morning Skate - AHL
- Hurricanes to Play Exhibition Game in Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Lightning Sign Former Second-Round Pick Richard Panik - Norfolk Admirals
- Amerks and Knighthawks' 'Week of Caring' Concludes Today - Rochester Americans
- Admirals to Hold Equipment Sale Saturday, May 28 - Norfolk Admirals
- Preview: Aeros-Bulldogs, Game 1 - Houston Aeros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Checkers Stories
- Seattle KrakenÂ NameÂ Dan BylsmaÂ as Checkers Assistant Coach
- Florida Panthers Re-Sign Defenseman Chase Priskie to a One-Year, Two-Way Contract
- Checkers Sign Evan Fitzpatrick and Karch Bachman to AHL Contracts
- Florida Panthers Agree to Terms with Forward Zac Dalpe on a Two-Year, Two-Way Contract
- Charlotte Checkers 2021-22 Schedule Released