Liberty Forward Carson Undergoes Surgery
NEW YORK, NY - New York Liberty Head Coach and General Manager Bill Laimbeer announced today that forward Essence Carson underwent surgery to repair the torn left anterior cruciate ligament (ACL). The procedure was performed earlier today by Liberty orthopedist Dr. Jo Hannafin at the Hospital for Special Surgery in Manhattan. Carson will miss the remainder of the season.
Carson suffered the injury to her left knee during the second quarter of the Liberty's game at Atlanta on Friday, June 7. She was the team's leading scorer, averaging 17.7 points through the first three contests.
Carson played in all 34 games in 2012, making 23 starts. She was third on the team in scoring with a career-best 11.6 points per game and also averaged career highs in rebounds (3.4) and assists (1.7).
In her sixth year in the league, Carson appeared in 172 career games averaging 8.7 points, 2.5 rebounds and 1.3 assists per game. A seventh overall pick of the Liberty in 2008, she earned her first career WNBA All-Star nomination in 2011. Carson made four playoff appearances, including the Eastern Conference Finals in 2008 and 2010. In 16 playoff games, Carson averaged 8.9 points and 2.7 rebounds per contest. She currently ranks seventh in Liberty history with 1,501 career points.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from June 26, 2013
- Lynx to Host Annual Go Green Game on Friday - Minnesota Lynx
- Liberty Forward Carson Undergoes Surgery - New York Liberty
- Sparks Host Latino Celebration Night on July 6 at STAPLES Center - Los Angeles Sparks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Liberty Stories
- New York Liberty Selects All-American Guard Kia Nurse from UConn in the 1st Round of the 2018 WNBA Draft
- New York Liberty Head Coach Katie Smith to be Inducted into Naismith Memorial Hall of Fame
- New York Liberty Announces Single-Game Tickets for 2018 Season Now on Sale
- New York Liberty to Play in Preseason Tournament at Mohegan Sun Arena
- New York Liberty Head Coach Katie Smith Named to Women's Basketball Hall of Fame Class of 2018