Legion FC Signs Forward Neco Brett, Midfielder Bolu Akinyode
BIRMINGHAM, AL - Birmingham Legion FC announced today the signing of forward Neco Brett and midfielder Bolu Akinyode, pending league and federation approval. The two additions are Legion FC's first new signings ahead of the 2020 season, the club's second in the USL Championship.
"We're excited to add two important players to our existing core," said Legion FC President and General Manager Jay Heaps. "Neco brings a proven goal-scoring ability to Birmingham to help boost an area we're focused on improving, and Bolu is a great addition to our midfield as he combines a physical presence with strong tactical awareness and technical ability."
Brett, 27, began his professional career in Jamaica, and played for the Jamaica Under-17 and Under-20 teams, before coming to America to play college soccer at Robert Morris University from 2012 to 2015. In 2016, he was selected in the second round of the MLS SuperDraft by the Portland Timbers. The forward spent the 2016 and 2017 seasons on loan in the USL Championship with Portland Timbers II, before joining the Pittsburgh Riverhounds in 2018.
Upon joining the Riverhounds, Brett's career took off, as he scored 32 goals and added 17 assists in 70 games the past two seasons. He was named USL Championship Player of the Week three times in two years and made the 2019 USL Championship All-League Second Team while helping earn PIT the USL Eastern Conference Regular Season Championship.
Akinyode, 25, joined the New York Red Bulls Academy at age 16 after moving to the United States from Lagos, Nigeria. He went on to play college soccer at Seton Hall University from 2011 to 2014 before signing with New York Red Bulls II. The defensive midfielder then spent 2016 with Bethlehem Steel FC, 2017 with North Carolina FC, and the past two seasons with Nashville SC.
Last season with Nashville SC, Akinyode made 32 appearances, including 25 starts, and scored one goal and added one assist. He won 74 tackles, and made 15 clearances, 26 interceptions, and seven blocks while completing 1,023 passes with an 88.9% passing accuracy.
Transaction: On December 17, 2019, Birmingham Legion FC signed Neco Brett and Bolu Akinyode, pending league and federation approval.
Name: Neco Brett
Height: 5' 8"
Weight: 165 lbs.
Birthdate: March 22, 1992 (age: 27)
Hometown: Kingston, Jamaica
Previous Club: Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC (USL Championship)
Name: Boluwatife Akinyode
Height: 6' 1.5"
Birthdate: May 30, 1994 (age: 25)
Hometown: Lagos, Nigeria
Citizenship: Nigeria, United States
Previous Club: Nashville SC (USL Championship)
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from December 17, 2019
- Switchbacks FC Sign Mamadi Camara - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Rowdies Sign Defender Forrest Lasso - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- San Antonio FC Defender Ebenezer Ackon Returns for 2020 Season - San Antonio FC
- San Diego Loyal Adds MLS Veteran Eric Avila to its Growing Roster - San Diego Loyal
- Rowdies Sign Midfielder Lewis Hilton - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- FC Tulsa Signs Two Former Cuba National Team and Miami FC Forwards to 2020 Roster - FC Tulsa
- El Paso Locomotive FC Defender Drew Beckie Returns for 2020 Season - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Legion FC Signs Forward Neco Brett, Midfielder Bolu Akinyode - Birmingham Legion FC
- Charlotte Independence Welcomes MLS Team - Charlotte Independence
- Energy FC Announces Partnership with adidas - OKC Energy FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Birmingham Legion FC Stories
- Bruno Lapa Signs New Multi-Year Deal with Legion FC
- Two Legion FC Players Named to 2020 USL Championship All-League Teams
- Bruno Lapa Wins Fan's Choice Award, Team MVP
- USL Academy League Confirms Founding Southeast Division Members
- Alex Crognale Named Legion FC Defensive Player of the Year