San Antonio FC Defender Ebenezer Ackon Returns for 2020 Season
SAN ANTONIO - San Antonio FC defender Ebenezer Ackon will return in 2020 after the club exercised his contract option, the team announced today. Per club policy, terms of the contract were not disclosed.
"As a staff, we are delighted to welcome back Ebenezer," said SAFC Head Coach Alen Marcina. "He is committed to our club, culture, and community and meets the on-field performance expectation being among league leaders in various statistical categories. We look forward to developing his game further as he has the potential to progress to the next level."
Ackon appeared in 33 games for San Antonio FC in his rookie season, compiling 2,970 minutes played which ranked second on the team. His 2,970 minutes played are second all-time in SAFC single-season history behind Kai Greene who recorded 3,060 in 2019. In addition, Ackon led SAFC in duels (431) and duels won (278), while finishing second on the team in blocks (21), interceptions (47), tackles won (54) and aerial duels won (82). Ackon's 278 duels won ranked second in the league and first in the Western Conference despite attempting just the 14th most duels in the USL Championship.
The defender also added an assist and was named to the USL Championship Team of the Week (May 14) once over the course of his first professional season.
"It's a great honor to be a part of this family for the 2020 season," Ackon said. "I'm very thankful to SAFC and everyone who has contributed to my professional journey. I can't wait to get back to business and achieve great things with the team this season."
Ackon originally joined SAFC after playing collegiate soccer at Bowling Green State University from 2017-18. Following his college career, Ackon was drafted by the Chicago Fire in the third round (53rd overall) of the 2019 MLS SuperDraft but went on to sign for SAFC. Following his 2018 season with the Falcons, the 22-year-old was named to the All-MAC First Team while also being named to the All-Ohio Team.
Born in Ghana, the 23-year-old began playing for Bowling Green State in 2017 after receiving eligibility from the NCAA. The rookie also attended the University of Cape Coast in his home country before moving to the United States.
San Antonio FC is currently preparing for the upcoming USL Championship season, and fans can purchase 2020 season tickets by calling or texting the SAFC sales office at 210-444-5657 or by visiting SanAntonioFC.com. Supporters can also follow the club by liking San Antonio FC on Facebook (@SAFCUSL), as well as following the team on Twitter (@SanAntonioFC) and Instagram (@sanantoniofc).
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from December 17, 2019
- Switchbacks FC Sign Mamadi Camara - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Rowdies Sign Defender Forrest Lasso - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- San Antonio FC Defender Ebenezer Ackon Returns for 2020 Season - San Antonio FC
- San Diego Loyal Adds MLS Veteran Eric Avila to its Growing Roster - San Diego Loyal
- Rowdies Sign Midfielder Lewis Hilton - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- FC Tulsa Signs Two Former Cuba National Team and Miami FC Forwards to 2020 Roster - FC Tulsa
- El Paso Locomotive FC Defender Drew Beckie Returns for 2020 Season - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Legion FC Signs Forward Neco Brett, Midfielder Bolu Akinyode - Birmingham Legion FC
- Charlotte Independence Welcomes MLS Team - Charlotte Independence
- Energy FC Announces Partnership with adidas - OKC Energy FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio FC Stories
- San Antonio FC Midfielder Jose Gallegos Named Finalist for USL Championship Young Player of the Year
- San Antonio FC Midfielder Jose Gallegos Named to USL Championship All-League Second Team
- San Antonio FC Falls in Penalty Kicks After 120 Minutes of Play in Orange County
- Game Information and Match Notes - Western Conference Final at Orange County SC
- San Antonio FC Advances to Western Conference Final After 3-1 Win vs. RGV FC