Legends Eclipse Wolves in Late-Game Thriller
FRISCO, TX - The Texas Legends (10-20) were able to connect in the final seconds to overshadow the Iowa Wolves (9-21) 119-118.
The Wolves got off to a hot start knocking down 50% and 46% outside in the first to build a double-digit gap minutes in. Texas turned the tables in the second, nearly doubling the visitors' points 37-19 behind a hot streak from Xavier Johnson. Johnson opened the quarter with the first points for Texas and went 6-of-6 for 12 points and 4 boards. With Johnson's 100%, Texas went up to 64% in the second, holding Iowa to 29% and taking the lead midway through to go into halftime ahead 63-54.
The Legends maintained control through the third, using a 22-point combined effort from Xavier Rathan-Mayes and Gary Trent Jr. to take their largest lead of the night (+19). Facing a double-digit deficit in the final 12 minutes, the Wolves came out firing, with Jonathan Stark leading the charge. Stark hit 3-of-5 outside and finished 8-of-11 for 20 of Iowa's 37 fourth quarter points. With less than two to play, the visitors jumped ahead, but a pair of free throws from Justin Dentmon and a final fadeaway from Rathan-Mayes would seal the victory in front of a sold-out home crowd.
Dentmon led all scorers with 29 points, 3 rebounds, and 3 steals. Ray Spalding added a double-double of 22 points, 11 rebounds, and 2 blocks, and Rathan-Mayes neared a triple-double with 17 points, 10 rebounds, and 8 assists. Trent Jr., in his first game on assignment from the Portland Trail Blazers, added 24 points, 4 rebounds, and Johnson finished with 16 points, 8 rebounds, and a game-high 4 steals.
Darius Johnson-Odom also neared a triple-double for the Wolves with 26 points, 8 rebounds, and 9 assists, while Jonathan Stark came off the bench to match the team-high 26 points while adding 4 rebounds, and 3 steals. Brandon Goodwin grabbed a double-double with 14 points, 10 rebounds.
The Legends will continue their three-game home stretch Wednesday against the Austin Spurs (14-15) at 7pm CT. For tickets or information call 214-469-0822 or visit www.TexLegends.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 21, 2019
- Threes Power Go-Go to Win over Drive - Grand Rapids Drive
- Legends Eclipse Wolves in Late-Game Thriller - Texas Legends
- Wolves Unable to Convert in Final Seconds, Lose to Legends - Iowa Wolves
- Long Island Falls to Raptors 905 - Long Island Nets
- Windy City Erases 14-Point Deficit, Beat Westchester 97-94 in Overtime - Windy City Bulls
- Greensboro Falters to Canton - Greensboro Swarm
- Huge Third Quarter Puts Charge over Greensboro - Canton Charge
- Warney Leads Five in Double-Figures in Loss to Texas - Westchester Knicks
- Stars Acquire Tanner McGrew - Salt Lake City Stars
- World Record Night Friday, January 25 - Salt Lake City Stars
- Washington Wizards Sign Gary Payton II to a 10-Day Contract - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Memphis Hustle Acquire Justin Tillman - Memphis Hustle
- Legends Acquire Asauhn Dixon-Tatum - Texas Legends
- Trail Blazers Assign Gary Trent Jr. to Texas Legends - Texas Legends
- Hornets Assign Dwayne Bacon and Devonte' Graham to Greensboro Swarm - Greensboro Swarm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.