Legendary Eskimo Head Coach Frank 'Pop' Ivy dies
Edmonton, AB - The Edmonton Eskimo Football Club mourns the passing of former head coach Frank "Pop" Ivy who led the Eskimos to 3 consecutive Grey Cup victories (1954-'56) and a record of 50-14 in four seasons. Ivy died Saturday, May 17th in Norman, Oklahoma at the age of 87.
Ivy was a star at the University of Oklahoma and named an All-American in 1939. He went to pro career in the NFL with both the Pittsburgh Steelers and Chicago Cardinals. Following his playing career, Ivy returned to his alma mater as an assistant coach and helped the Sooners to a national championship in 1950. He joined the Esks in 1954 and coached a team that included the likes of Jackie Parker, Normie Kwong, Rollie Miles and Johnny Bright.
Ivy returned to the NFL in 1958 as head coach of the Chicago Cardinals and spent four seasons at the helm. He then moved on to the Houston Oilers of the old American Football League. Ivy have a lifetime record of 82-56 in 9 seasons. He later worked as an assistant coach and scout with the New York Giants before retiring in 1984. Frank Ivy is the only man to serve as head coach in the NFL. AFL and CFL.
Funeral services for Frank "Pop" Ivy are Wednesday, May 28th in Norman, Oklahoma.
The Edmonton Eskimos open their 2003 training camp Sunday, May 25th at Concordia University College of Alberta. Edmonton Eskimo 2003 season tickets are now available, ranging in price from $109 to $350. Call (780) 448-ESKS or 1-800-667-3757 to get yours today! For more information on the Edmonton Eskimo Football Club, please visit our web site at www.esks.com.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from May 21, 2003
- Ottawa-Borm Renegades Lineman Mike Sutherland on CFL Internet Chat - Ottawa Renegades
- First Quarterback Club of Season Takes Place Thursday - Ottawa Renegades
- Legendary Eskimo Head Coach Frank 'Pop' Ivy dies - Edmonton Eskimos
- Eskimos name new head trainer - Edmonton Eskimos
- Roughrider Season Tickets Ready for Pickup - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Renegades Sign NFL Veteran Receiver Trevor Insley - Ottawa Renegades
- Seven of Nine Draft Picks in Als' Camp - Montreal Alouettes
- Clinton Wayne Extends Contract with Renegades - Ottawa Renegades
- Eskimos sign Georgia Bulldog DB - Edmonton Eskimos
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Edmonton Eskimos Stories
- Eskimos Re-Sign Dupuis
- Eskimos Ink DL Brooks
- Former Eskimo Andrew Jones Joins Community Department
- Eskimos Sign Pair
- Darius Allen Released