Late Rally Not Enough for Blades in Season-Opening Loss to Growlers
ST. JOHN'S, Newfoundland - Kyle Platzer and Matt Foget tallied their first goals of the season, but the Florida Everblades fell to the Newfoundland Growlers, 3-2, in the regular season opener for both teams on Friday night at Mile One Centre.
The Everblades (0-1-0, 0 PTS) scored twice in the third period to claw back to a one-goal difference, but the Growlers (1-0-0, 2 PTS) closed the door en route to their first win in franchise history.
The Everblades tallied twice on the power-play goal to close the deficit in the final frame. Platzer collected a low rebound and got the 'Blades on the board halfway through the third. Foget then scored with 1:24 left in regulation against Newfoundland goaltender Eamon McAdam to make it 3-2.
Between the two 'Blades power-play goals was the game winning goal by the Growlers' Sam Babintsev. Babinstev beat Blades netminder Jeremy Helvig on the glove side.
The Growlers opened the scoring in the first period as Kristians Rubins found the back of the net for the season's first goal at the 2:47 mark. Not only was it the first goal in the 31st season of the ECHL but it was also the first goal in Newfoundland Growlers' history.
The Growlers tacked on another goal to increase their lead to two. Matt Bradley streaked past the 'Blades defense as he beat Helvig on a backhanded shot over his glove.
McAdam made 21 saves in the game for Newfoundland and earned the win. Helvig stopped nine shots in the first, nine shots in the second and 10 more in the third but suffered the loss in his 'Blades regular season debut.
The two teams will square off again on Saturday night at 5:30 p.m. ET, the final meeting between the two sides this season.
Individual game tickets for all regular season games are on sale now!
Ticket packages for the 2018-19 season are on sale now! Become part of the Everblades Family with a Full Season, Partial Season or a Flexible Voucher Package that fits your schedule and budget! All Ticket & Voucher Packages provide savings and special benefits! To view the Ticket & Voucher Package options CLICK HERE. Ask about the payment plan options too!
Images from this story
Florida Everblades forward Kyle Platzer
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 12, 2018
- Gladiators Announce Opening Night Roster - Atlanta Gladiators
- Fuel Edged in 2018-19 Season Opener - Indy Fuel
- Steelheads Fall 3-2 in Shootout Loss to Wichita - Idaho Steelheads
- Mavs Rout Americans to Open Season - Kansas City Mavericks
- Toledo Erases Deficit, Overcomes Swamp Rabbits in OT - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Late Rally Not Enough for Blades in Season-Opening Loss to Growlers - Florida Everblades
- Growlers Win Inaugural Game - Newfoundland Growlers
- Dallas Re-Assigns Desrosiers to Steelheads - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - October 12 - ECHL
- 7 Cowbell World Record Attempts at Royals Game Saturday - Reading Royals
- Americans Set to Open 10th Anniversary Season Tonight - Allen Americans
- Worcester Railers HC Extend Broadcast Agreement with 98.9 FM NASH ICON - Worcester Railers HC
- Coach Pyle Announces Captains - Atlanta Gladiators
- Glads to Hold Player Meet and Greet at Uncle Jack's Meat House - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Day Report: Mavericks Host Americans in Season Opener - Kansas City Mavericks
- Nailers Announce 2018-19 Opening Roster - Wheeling Nailers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- Surge in Third Period Not Enough in 4-3 Setback to Manchester
- Everblades Close out Homestand with Series Finale against Manchester
- 'Blades Reign Supreme over Monarchs in 6-3 Win
- Matt Finn Loaned to AHL's Hartford Wolf Pack
- Everblades Host Manchester in Just Sixth All-Time Matchup