Coach Pyle Announces Captains
DULUTH, Ga. - The Atlanta Gladiators announced on Friday that forward Derek Nesbitt, and defensemen Kevin Montgomery and Ben Danford will serve as the team's assistant captains to start the 2018-19 season. The team will not have a main captain this year.
"I went with this system because I don't like the idea of putting all the pressure on one player," said Head Coach Jeff Pyle. "We are a team, one player shouldn't have to answer for the whole group. That's my job and I'll be the one taking sole responsibility for any blame that is needed."
Coach Pyle will also rotate the captains who wear the "A' on their jersey throughout the season. Nesbitt, Montgomery and Danford will don the "A' on their jerseys for the first time tomorrow night in Orlando, FL, as the Gladiators start the 2018-19 season on the road against the Solar Bears.
"We have a lot a leaders on this team, and I feel it's important to reward guys for playing and acting the right way by having multiple players wear a letter at different points in the year," added Pyle. "This decision was made with the help from Derek Nesbitt, and it in no way is a demotion for him. He fully embraced the idea and is an important fixture in our leadership group no matter what letter he wears on his sweater."
The 16th season of Atlanta Gladiators hockey begins at the Infinite Energy Arena on Friday, October 19th against the Greenville Swamp Rabbits at 7:35 PM. For ticket information, visit the official team website at www.atlantagladiators.com or call the main office line at 770-497-5100.
The Gladiators are members of the ECHL, the nation's premier "AA" hockey league. All home games are played at the 10,867-seat Infinite Energy Arena, located just off I-85 on Sugarloaf Parkway in Duluth - where parking is always free. The Gladiators have established an unrivaled commitment to excellence, maintaining a distinctive reputation for affordable and family-friendly sports entertainment and consistently ranked as one of the top "Things To Do" in the Atlanta area and across the North Georgia region.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 12, 2018
- Gladiators Announce Opening Night Roster - Atlanta Gladiators
- Fuel Edged in 2018-19 Season Opener - Indy Fuel
- Steelheads Fall 3-2 in Shootout Loss to Wichita - Idaho Steelheads
- Mavs Rout Americans to Open Season - Kansas City Mavericks
- Toledo Erases Deficit, Overcomes Swamp Rabbits in OT - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Late Rally Not Enough for Blades in Season-Opening Loss to Growlers - Florida Everblades
- Growlers Win Inaugural Game - Newfoundland Growlers
- Dallas Re-Assigns Desrosiers to Steelheads - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - October 12 - ECHL
- 7 Cowbell World Record Attempts at Royals Game Saturday - Reading Royals
- Americans Set to Open 10th Anniversary Season Tonight - Allen Americans
- Worcester Railers HC Extend Broadcast Agreement with 98.9 FM NASH ICON - Worcester Railers HC
- Coach Pyle Announces Captains - Atlanta Gladiators
- Glads to Hold Player Meet and Greet at Uncle Jack's Meat House - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Day Report: Mavericks Host Americans in Season Opener - Kansas City Mavericks
- Nailers Announce 2018-19 Opening Roster - Wheeling Nailers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.