Growlers Win Inaugural Game
The Newfoundland Growlers opened their season in front of a sold-out Mile One Centre in style as they edged the Florida Everblades 3-2. Kristians Rubins scored the historic first goal in franchise history when he cleaned up a scrum in front of the Everblades net and slid it past Jeremy Helvig at 17:13 of the opening frame. The goal also marked Rubins' first professional goal in his first professional game. Scott Pooley had the lone helper.
Matt Bradley increased the Growlers lead to 2-0 at 6:58 of the third period roofing one under the glove hand of Helvig off a nice Scott Pooley dish, giving Pooley his second assist of the evening.
The Everblades cut the lead to 2-1 at 10:27 of the third period when Kyle Platzer drove to the net and tucked it in under McAdam's pad for the power play tally. Nick Schilkey had the lone assist.
The Growlers re-stored their two-goal lead just over two minutes later to make it 3-1 as Sam Babintsev redirected a Marcus Power feed upstairs perfectly.
The Everblades made it interesting as their powerplay struck for the second time on the evening with Mathieu Foget scoring at 1:14 to play making it a one-goal game but that was as close as Florida would come as the Growlers held on for the 3-2 win to send the fans home happy.
* It was a night of firsts as Kristian Rubins and Matt Bradley both scored their first professional goal in their first professional game. Marcus Power also recorded his first pro point - an assist - in his first pro game.
* The winning 50/50 number was 012312 for a prize of $11,110
* The three stars were a clean sweep for the Growlers with Matt Bradley receiving third star honors, Eamon McAdam second, and Scott Pooley first.
The Growlers and Everblades square off again tomorrow night for the final game of Molson Opening Weekend. Puck drop is 7 p.m. NST. Tickets are available at mileonecentre.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 12, 2018
- Gladiators Announce Opening Night Roster - Atlanta Gladiators
- Fuel Edged in 2018-19 Season Opener - Indy Fuel
- Steelheads Fall 3-2 in Shootout Loss to Wichita - Idaho Steelheads
- Mavs Rout Americans to Open Season - Kansas City Mavericks
- Toledo Erases Deficit, Overcomes Swamp Rabbits in OT - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Late Rally Not Enough for Blades in Season-Opening Loss to Growlers - Florida Everblades
- Growlers Win Inaugural Game - Newfoundland Growlers
- Dallas Re-Assigns Desrosiers to Steelheads - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - October 12 - ECHL
- 7 Cowbell World Record Attempts at Royals Game Saturday - Reading Royals
- Americans Set to Open 10th Anniversary Season Tonight - Allen Americans
- Worcester Railers HC Extend Broadcast Agreement with 98.9 FM NASH ICON - Worcester Railers HC
- Coach Pyle Announces Captains - Atlanta Gladiators
- Glads to Hold Player Meet and Greet at Uncle Jack's Meat House - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Day Report: Mavericks Host Americans in Season Opener - Kansas City Mavericks
- Nailers Announce 2018-19 Opening Roster - Wheeling Nailers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.