Late Home Run Dooms Patriots in 3-2 Loss
Central Islip, N.Y. - The Somerset Patriots (26-18) let a late lead slip away against the Long Island Ducks (28-15) in a 3-2 win Tuesday night at Bethpage Ballpark.
The game was scoreless through the first four innings before the Patriots broke the ice in the fifth. After loading the bases with nobody out, Will Kengor lifted a sacrifice fly out to center field to put Somerset in front 1-0.
The Patriots doubled their lead in the top of the sixth on a two-strike, two-out solo home run from Mike Fransoso (3) to right field. Long Island trimmed their deficit back to one the next half inning on a Kirk Nieuwenhuis RBI groundout.
Brett Oberholtzer finished his night after seven strong innings, striking out seven batters and scattering seven hits while yielding one run in a no-decision.
Somerset remained in the lead until the bottom of the eighth inning. Ezequiel Carrera led off the inning with a base hit before a costly fielding error from Alfredo Rodriguez put two on base. Two batters later, with a runner at third and two outs, Nieuwenhuis (8) lifted a two-run home run to put the Ducks in front.
The Patriots went down quietly in the ninth.
Enrique Burgos (4-1) got the win with a scoreless inning of relief. Mike Broadway (1-2) allowed two unearned runs to get saddled with the loss. Josh Luke (2) earned the save with a scoreless ninth.
The Patriots and Ducks continue their three-game series Wednesday night. Thomas Dorminy (0-4, 3.86 ERA) takes the mound for Somerset against Long Island southpaw Jake Fisher (3-4, 5.32 ERA). First pitch at Bethpage Ballpark scheduled for 6:35 pm.
The 2019 Somerset Patriots Season presented by Ford will continue on the road until Friday, June 14th when the team returns to TD Bank Ballpark for a 7:05 pm game against the Southern Maryland Blue Crabs, including a postgame fireworks show. For tickets, stop by the box office located at TD Bank Ballpark, call (908) 252-0700, or visit www.somersetpatriots.com.
Images from this story
Somerset Patriots pitcher Brett Oberholtzer
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from June 11, 2019
- First Inning Power Propels Bees To Triumph Over Blue Crabs - New Britain Bees
- Late Home Run Dooms Patriots in 3-2 Loss - Somerset Patriots
- Nieuwenhuis Eighth-Inning Blast Sends Ducks Past Pats - Long Island Ducks
- Bees Swarm Blue Crabs Early to Snap a Southern Maryland Win Streak - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- WellCare | TexanPlus to Serve as Skeeters Official Jersey Sponsor - Sugar Land Skeeters
- Nash Ties All-Time Home Run Record as Revs Rock the Rockers on Historic Night at PeoplesBank Park - York Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.