Late Comeback Sinks ThunderBolts in 3-2 Loss
CRESTWOOD, IL - The ThunderBolts erased a one-run deficit to take a late lead, but the Traverse City Beach Bums managed two runs in the eighth inning to earn a 3-2 victory at Standard Bank Stadium Wednesday night.
Traverse City ambushed Windy City starter Eddie Avila in the first, as three pitches in, Orlando Rivera singled and Isaac Benard doubled him home to give the Beach Bums an early 1-0 lead.
Avila, though, would settle in. The right-hander retired 18 of the final 20 Beach Bums (39-46) he faced before being lifted with one out in the seventh inning.
The Bolts (36-51) offensively were blanked by Traverse City starter John Havird until the sixth. With runners at the corners and two outs, Derek Bangert lined a ball to centerfield that scored Tim Zier to tie the contest at one.
Following a Blair Beck single to load the bases, Axel Johnson trotted home thanks to a Matt Brown walk that gave the ThunderBolts a 2-1 advantage.
Traverse City came right back with two runs in the eighth thanks to a liner off the leftfield wall hit by Will Kengor. John Michael Knighton came on in the ninth and retired the Windy City side in order to earn his 13thsave.
Jack Anderson (2-5) took the loss after allowing two runs on a hit and two walks, while Tyler Barss (1-1) picked up the victory.
Avila took a tough no-decision after allowing one run on three hits while striking out eight in 6.1 innings. The rookie owns a 1.67 ERA over his last 27 innings pitched with 31 strikeouts.
The rubber game is scheduled for Thursday at 7:05. Patrick Ledet (6-5, 3.41) takes the bump against Traverse City's Matt Murphy (3-4, 4.62).
It will be the final "White Castle Wrestling Thursday" at Standard Bank Stadium with a one hour postgame wrestling show put on by "Wrestle League." The first 500 fans 21 and over to the ballpark will receive a pint glass from Lakeshore Beverage. Those not in attendance may listen to the broadcast live through wcthunderbolts.com.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 22, 2018
- Rascals Win 4th Straight in Comeback over Grizzlies - River City Rascals
- Miners Blown out in Evansville - Southern Illinois Miners
- Late Comeback Sinks ThunderBolts in 3-2 Loss - Windy City ThunderBolts
- CornBelters Rebound with Triumph over Freedom - Normal CornBelters
- Kengor's Late Heroics Lead to Beach Bums Win - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Otters Rout Miners in Shutout Fashion - Evansville Otters
- Wild Things Comeback from 5 Down to Win Middle Game - Washington Wild Things
- Grizzlies Relinquish Lead, Fall to Rascals - Gateway Grizzlies
- Boomers Squander Early Lead in Loss at Washington - Schaumburg Boomers
- Otters to Welcome Radio/TV Personality Sam Alex on Friday - Evansville Otters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Windy City ThunderBolts Stories
- Windy City ThunderBolts, Village of Crestwood, and Ozinga Announce New Stadium Naming Rights
- ThunderBolts Hire Brian Smith as New Field Manager
- Windy City ThunderBolts Unveil Logo for 20th Anniversary in Crestwood and Frontier League
- ThunderBolts Fall to Traverse City in Season Finale
- ThunderBolts Use Big Innings to Take Game One at Traverse City