Last Minute St. Cloud Goal Dooms Bruins, 4-3
AUSTIN, Minn. - Luke Acquaro scored the game-winning goal with just fifty seconds remaining in regulation to propel St. Cloud to the 4-3 win.
In the first meeting of the season between the two teams, it was St. Cloud on the road who broke the games scoreless tie. Brady Bjork sprung free on a mini-breakaway and went low glove-side on Tyler Shea and midway through the first period, it was 1-0 St. Cloud. The Bruins battled back six minute later with his eleventh goal in his last eleven games to even the game at 1-1.
In the second period, the Bruins took their first and only lead of the night thanks to the first career goal by Cullen Rush. On a play starting in the Bruins defensive zone following a big save by Shea , Dante Sheriff skated out through the neutral zone and fed across to Rush who buried it home and gave the Bruins the lead, 2-1. From there it was all St. Cloud in the second period, as they regained the lead 3-2 following goals from Jack Suchy and Max Johnson.
In the third period, the Bruins managed to tie the game at 3-3 when Josef Mysak scored on the power-play. Mysak was able to head-fake a defender out of his lane and fire a shot past St. Cloud goalie Sam Metcalf.
The score held true until the final minute of the game when Suchy powered into the slot and though he lost the puck, it was picked up by Luke Acquaro and pushed in past Shea.
With the loss, the Bruins fall to 12-9-2-2 while the Blizzard improve to 7-13-3-1 on the season. The two teams will battle in a rematch on Saturday night in St. Cloud.
The Bruins return home on Friday, December 13 for back-to-back games against the Minot Minotauros. Friday is Teddy Bear Toss presented by Power96. Fans are encouraged to bring a stuffed teddy bear or other animal and will be permitted to throw it on the ice after the Bruins score their first goal of the game. Tickets for both Friday and Saturday night's matchups against the Minotauros go one sale Monday, December 9 at all the Bruins vendors including Games People Play, Hy-Vee, Holiday Inn, and Jim's Marketplace.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from December 6, 2019
- Weekend Preview vs. Shreveport - New Mexico Ice Wolves
- Young's Trio Powers Bulls Offense in Friday Night Throwdown - Amarillo Bulls
- IceRays Start Weekend with 3-1 Win against Brahmas - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Nichols Leads Bugs in Win over Wolves - Shreveport Mudbugs
- Last Minute St. Cloud Goal Dooms Bruins, 4-3 - Austin Bruins
- Late Goal Powers Rebels Past Black Bears - Maryland Black Bears
- Bulls Name 2019-2020 Alternate Captains - Amarillo Bulls
- Mitchell Digby Is Latest Addition to Commitment List - Lone Star Brahmas
- Wings vs. Wilderness Tonight at the Odde - Aberdeen Wings
- Bobcats and Bears - Minot Minotauros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Austin Bruins Stories
- Bruins to Play Aberdeen for Weekend Set
- Bruins Survive Wilderness, 4-3, in Shootout
- Bruins Announce Schedule Change Including Addition of Two-Game Set at Janesville this Weekend
- Bruins Fly Past Jets 4-3 to Take Season Opener
- Austin and Aberdeen Move Weekend Series to March