Late Goal Powers Rebels Past Black Bears
ODENTON, MD - The Maryland Black Bears and Jamestown Rebels held a 1-1 tie late into regulation time; however, a controversial penalty was called against Maryland and Jamestown cashed in, scoring with three minutes and 24 seconds left in the game to help the Rebels to a 3-1 win.
The first two goals of the game occurred in the first period. Jamestown forward Valentino Passarelli struck first to make it 1-0 for the Rebels. The Black Bears turned the puck over along the boards, allowing Jamestown to throw the puck on goal where it bounced right to Passarelli who scored. Luke Mountain responded for Maryland, as he deflected the puck to the top right side for the 1-1 tie.
There was no scoring until late in the game until a controversial call was made against Black Bears' forward Andrew Remer for hooking. Then after another failed clear attempt by Maryland, Jamestown captain Eric Olsen tipped a puck passed to him from behind the net into the goal for a 2-1 lead. Janis Vizbelis then iced the game for the Rebels with an empty-net goal for 3-1 final score.
The Black Bears and Rebels play tomorrow on Saturday, December 7th for a 7:45 PM ET puck drop at Piney Orchard Ice Arena. The game will mark the second annual Military Appreciation Night for the Maryland Black Bears.
The Maryland Black Bears is a Junior Hockey Team that competes in the North American Hockey League (NAHL). Our players, 16-20 years old, are vying for NCAA DI/III Scholarships. The Black Bears are the hometown hockey team of Central Maryland and play out of the Piney Orchard Ice Arena. The Maryland Black Bears play for more than just wins!
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from December 6, 2019
- Weekend Preview vs. Shreveport - New Mexico Ice Wolves
- Young's Trio Powers Bulls Offense in Friday Night Throwdown - Amarillo Bulls
- IceRays Start Weekend with 3-1 Win against Brahmas - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Nichols Leads Bugs in Win over Wolves - Shreveport Mudbugs
- Last Minute St. Cloud Goal Dooms Bruins, 4-3 - Austin Bruins
- Late Goal Powers Rebels Past Black Bears - Maryland Black Bears
- Bulls Name 2019-2020 Alternate Captains - Amarillo Bulls
- Mitchell Digby Is Latest Addition to Commitment List - Lone Star Brahmas
- Wings vs. Wilderness Tonight at the Odde - Aberdeen Wings
- Bobcats and Bears - Minot Minotauros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.