Lang Named to All-CHL Team
MOLINE, Ill. (March 18, 2013) - Quad City Mallards forward Mickey Lang has been named to the All-Central Hockey League team, the Mallards announced today in conjunction with the CHL. It was announced earlier today that Mallard forward Mike Hellyer has been named to the CHL All-Rookie Team
"Mickey and Mike are very deserving of these honors," said Mallards coach and general manager Terry Ruskowski. "They've both worked extremely hard all season and have done a great job for us since day one. They've run into a lot of challenges this season and they've met every one. Just as importantly, they're also quality people who have been great representatives for the organization away from the ice."
Lang, 26, has enjoyed a breakout second season with the Mallards. The 5' 10", 174-pound Reno, Nevada, native leads the CHL in shorthanded goals (6) and game winning goals (9), ranks second in goals (38), is tied for second in power play goals (11), is tied for fourth in points (78), is tied for sixth in plus/minus rating (+17) and is tied for seventh in assists.
Lang is currently in the midst of a hot streak that has helped propel the Mallards to the verge of clinching a playoff berth. He has ripped off nine goals in just his last eight games and piled up 22 points (13 goals and nine assists) in his last 15 outings.
Selection to the All-CHL team is just the latest in a string of honors for Lang, who earlier this month was chosen as one of five finalists for the league's Most Valuable Player award. Lang was named CHL Player of the Month for January and CHL Third Star for the month of February. He earned league Player of the Week honors for the period ending January 20 after breaking loose for a natural hat trick and six points- the highest single game total in the league this season and the most recorded by a Mallard in one game in over six years- in a January 19 win over the Denver Cutthroats. January also saw Lang make his American Hockey League debut for the Rockford IceHogs.
Lang returned to the Mallards this year after scoring 19 goals and totaling 40 points in 61 games as a rookie last season. He capped of his first pro campaign by earning CHL Rookie of the Month and CHL Oakley First Star honors for March.
Lang played four standout seasons at Division III Manhattanville College before turning pro. He was named to the All-ECAC West Conference second team in each of his final two seasons as a Valiant. Lang, who scored 16 times and produced 27 points in 24 games as a senior in 2010-11, finished his collegiate career ranked second in school history in goals (47). In all, he totaled 93 points in 88 games for Manhattanville.
Lang is joined on the All-CHL team by forwards A.J. Gale (Denver) and Sebastien Thinel (Missouri); defensemen Tyler Ludwig (Allen) and Kevin Young (Wichita); and goaltender Aaron Dell (Allen). The All-CHL team was selected in voting by the league's coaches.
The Mallards return to action at home tomorrow night at 7:05 p.m. against Denver. Just in time for the onset of March Madness, tomorrow night will feature $1 Nacho Madness- nacho baskets will be available for just $1 at i wireless Center concession stands. Tomorrow evening is also a $2 Tuesday- fans attending the game will be able to purchase $2 soft drinks and beer.
Tickets for tomorrow night's game- as well as seats for all remaining Mallards regular season home games- can be purchased in person at the i wireless Center ticket office, at Ticketmaster outlets, through www.ticketmaster.com or through Ticketmaster charge-by-phone toll free at 1-800-745-3000. The ticket office is open weekdays from 10:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., on Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and on game days from 10:00 a.m. until the start of the second period.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 18, 2013
- Shots from the Point for March 18, 2013 - CHL
- McCready Named to CHL All-Rookie Team - Arizona Sundogs
- Cutthroats Weekly Update - Denver Cutthroats
- Mallards Weekly Update - Quad City Mallards
- Fort Worth's Austin Mayer Named Oakley CHL Player of the Week - CHL
- Austin Mayer Named Oakley CHL Player of the Week - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Americans Have Two Players Named to the All-CHL Team - Allen Americans
- Young Selected to All-CHL Team - Wichita Thunder
- Mavericks' Forward Sebastien Thinel Named to All-CHL Team - Kansas City Mavericks
- Lang Named to All-CHL Team - Quad City Mallards
- CHL 2012-13 All-CHL Team Announced - CHL
- Mavericks' Head Coach Scott Hillman Suspended One Game - Kansas City Mavericks
- Bloomington Blaze Weekly - Bloomington Blaze
- Aaron Dell Named to CHL All-Rookie Team - Allen Americans
- Oilers Weekly News and Notes - Tulsa Oilers
- Hanson Selected to CHL Al-Rookie Team - Wichita Thunder
- Hellyer Named to CHL All-Rookie Team - Quad City Mallards
- Nutkevitch, Spivak Named to CHL All-Rookie Team - Fort Worth Brahmas
- CHL 2012-13 All-Rookie Team Announced - CHL
- Thunder Weekly - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Quad City Mallards Stories
- Mallards Clearance Sale this Week
- Motte, Osipov Head to AHL
- Mallards Rally to Win Finale
- Mallards Game Day
- Mallards Battle from Behind for 5-4 Shootout Victory over Wings