Lakeland Secures Appearance in Eastern Conference Finals
The Lakeland Magic, NBA G League affiliate of the Orlando Magic, defeated the Westchester Knicks 104-91 in the second round of the NBA G League playoffs on Friday at the RP Funding Center. Lakeland will play the Long Island Nets in the NBA G League Eastern Conference Finals in Long Island, NY on Tuesday, April 2.
Magic came out strong from the start scoring the first six points of the game. Lakeland increased the lead to 17 points (28-11) on a three pointer by Melvin Frazier Jr. and lead 29-18 at the end of the first. The Knicks scored 16 unanswered points in the second and tied the game at 43-43 with 1:56 remaining in the quarter. The Magic fought back and closed out the half with a six point lead and the score 51-45 heading into the locker room. The Knicks cut the lead to nine points in the third quarter with 4:09 remaining but the Magic continued to compete and took an 11 point lead (74-63) into the final quarter of play. The Magic increased
the lead to 21 points with 7:32 left to play on a cutting dunk shot by Melvin Frazier Jr. and closed out the win with the final score 104-91.
Amile Jefferson led the way for Lakeland with a double-double scoring 21 points and 10 rebounds. BJ Johnson was also a key contributor with 20 points. John Petrucelli had 15 points. Troy Caupain posted 14 points and 6 rebounds.
For the Knicks, Sekou Wiggs was just shy of the double-double with 23 points and 9 rebounds. Isaiah Hicks had a double-double with 16 points and 10 rebounds. Billy Garrett scored 12 points and Paul Watson had 10 points on the night.
Lakeland Magic will host the watch party at Glory Days in Lakeland, FL. Season tickets and group tickets are available for the 2019-20 season. For ticket information, visit lakelandmagic.com or call 863.825.3258.
Amile Jefferson 21 points, 10 rebounds
BJ Johnson 20 points
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 29, 2019
- Frazier Leads Vipers to Western Conference Finals - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Rio Grande Valley Gets Red-Hot from Three-Point Range to Eliminate Hustle from G League Playoffs - Memphis Hustle
- Long Island Tops 905 to Win First Playoff Game in Franchise History - Long Island Nets
- Lakeland Secures Appearance in Eastern Conference Finals - Lakeland Magic
- Wiggs Nets Career-High in Knicks' Semis Setback to Magic - Westchester Knicks
- Will Weaver Named NBA G League Coach of the Year & Trajan Langdon Selected as NBA G League Basketball Executive of the Year - Long Island Nets
- Long Island's Trajan Langdon Named 2018-19 NBA G League Basketball Executive of the Year - G League
- Long Island's Will Weaver Named 2018-19 NBA G League Coach of the Year - G League
- No. 3 Knicks Travel to No. 2 Magic in Second Round - Westchester Knicks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lakeland Magic Stories
- 400+ Local Students Participate in Magic 863 Reading Program
- Lakeland Magic Forward Amile Jefferson Named to All-NBA G League Third Team
- Lakeland Secures Appearance in Eastern Conference Finals
- Lakeland's Gabe York Receives 2018-19 NBA G League Jason Collier Sportsmanship Award
- Lakeland Secures Round One Bye and Home Game in NBA G League Playoffs